By Wizards of the Coast
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Magic 2014 is a high performance game and runs best on iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, and iPad Mini with Retina display. For an optimal experience, please close any other open apps and ensure there are no active downloads running in the background.
Ignite your spark with Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers!
Magic: The Gathering is the world’s premier trading card game. Become a Planeswalker and travel the planes of existence unleashing a torrent of spells and creatures.
• 3 decks, each with 5 unlockable cards
• Single-player campaign across the plane of Shandalar
• One Planeswalker duel
• Sealed Play mode; explore a deckbuilding experience
Additional content is also available for purchase. Premium content package will get you:
• 7 additional decks to unlock
• 250+ additional cards unlockable through play
• 4 deadly opponents, including the Planeswalker Chandra Nalaar
• 18 additional Campaign levels across the planes of Ravnica, Alara, Innistrad and Zendikar, plus 11 revenge matches
• 10 puzzling challenges
• Online one-on-one Multiplayer play
• Two-Headed Giant and Custom Game modes
• Access to deck key and foil conversion in-app purchases
• Additional downloadable content as it becomes available
Game content available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Brazilian Portuguese only.
Magic 2014 runs best on iPad 3 or later.
What's New in Version 1.4.1
- iPad Air stability issues addressed.
- Loading animation functionality addressed.
- Additional crash and performance fixes.
iPad app is alright
The game is fun, but this app isn't responsible for devising it so I can't give the app credit for it.
AI still fairly slow, but overall an improvement on the 2013 version, particularly in concern to combat.
Campaign is a bit boring, but I can see what they were trying for. 2013 version was better here.
Sealed deck is ok, maybe the next one can have a draft mode? 4vs4 is replaced by 2 headed dragon, but can't there be both?
Thank god we can adjust land now. Worst feature of 2013 game was that you couldn't adjust land for the mana curve of the deck. I'm still very disappointed that we can't actually build a real, personal, one of a kind deck of our choosing. Restricted to certain amount of cards really restricts customisation. I feel like each deck has perhaps two themes I can build it around, and if I'm feeling lucky I can attempt blending the two, although it usually isn't a good idea. Having a store where you can buy extra single cards for the decks would allow greater variety and more fun when it comes to deck building, and it would earn the app a bit more money so I don't see why this is a problem.
Anyway, 3 out of 5. Improvements, but still some issues, especial in regards to the bugs and crashes many of the other reviews have commented on.
MtG - Needs more everything.
Pretty much the same as all the other DotPW games released across the digital networks. Gameplay is slow, inability to build your own deck to use permanently, AI opponents can be difficult to beat, as they are able to put Land & Creature/Spell cards down every turn, where the player is often lucky to be able to play anything every turn. Multiplayer is only two player, which isn't great when you have a group of friends that want to play against each other. Probably a decent game for people to see if they would like to play the proper card game, but pretty much becomes obsolete once you've played through the campaign.
Not crashing - yet.
The game itself is an excellent companion to the trading card game for those who play it, and a great teaching tool for those just starting out.
Yes, you are limited to certain decks plus additional cards, but they're hardly going to give you every card ever published for the price of a couple of booster packs now are they? Coding all those card interactions wouldn't be at all easy either.
My main issue is that last year's app no longer works on my new IPad Air. They really need to sort out the reliability of these apps. Who knows when this one will stop working?
- Category: Games
- Updated: 17 December 2013
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 1.36 GB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Wizards of the Coast LLC
- ©2013 Wizards of the Coast LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Magic 2014 Premium Content Pack£7.99
- Magic 2014 Expansion£3.99
- Deck Pack 1£2.29
- Deck Pack 2£2.29
- Deck Pack 3£2.29
- Magic 2014 Sealed Play Slot£1.49
- “Deadwalkers” Deck Key£0.79
- “Mind Maze” Deck Key£0.79
- “Sliver Hive” Deck Key£0.79
- “Avacyn’s Glory” Deck Key£0.79