Magic Tate Ball reveals the hidden connections between art and your everyday life!
* NEW ARTWORKS ADDED *
Shake your phone day or night, anywhere in the world, and the app’s clever search algorithm will present you with the most relevant artwork from Tate’s archive. It uses date, time of day, your GPS location, local weather conditions and ambient noise levels to match an artwork to that unique moment in time.
With artworks from Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Claude Monet, JM Turner and many more, Magic Tate Ball is a fun way to find art, giving you the Tate on tap!
Each artwork comes with a funny or facty Twitter-sized write-up. If it's a sunny day you might share in Constable's appreciation of the great British landscape. The rain might coax 'The Snail' by Matisse out of his shell. At lunch time you might find out why fat, and felt, are so important in Beuys's work, or a noisy after work drink might lead to Georg Baselitz explaining why he made a piece with a chainsaw.
Take your Magic Tate Ball to Tate Modern to unlock a super-secret bonus mode.
Magic Tate Ball is yours to shake, what artwork will this moment make?
Concept and content from Tate and Thought Den. Designed and built by Thought Den, with Mobile Pie. Sponsored by Bloomberg.
* Weather functionality improved
* Minor visual tweaks
* PLUS, all the below in Version 2.0
- Twitter sharing
- Improved Facebook sharing
- Extra artworks from the likes of Turner, Constable, Anish Kapoor, David Bomberg and more
- Over 300 new tags added
- Refreshed look & feel for iOS 7
- Weather API fixed
- Improved location algorithm
- Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Lots of fun!
I like this clever little app! It makes you look at each piece in a personal way. Just had Fountain selected for me because it's raining in London at the moment - really made me laugh.
Great app for art lovers
One of my most favourite apps. Over time you will build up an art collection that can remind you of certain times and places. Well done Tate.
Great unusual app that may flatten your battery
This app is great fun and an unusual whacky design. It is an excellent introduction to modern art.
I have two comments:
1. You need to shake it a bit too long before anything happens – I thought it didn't work at first.
2. It constantly reads your location, if you let it, even when in the background. Could the designers please implement the 'Check Location only when using' option that most apps have these days?
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.