Mast is a beautiful Mastodon app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. With customisable content and themes, it’s most definitely the perfect choice.
The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy, and tapping the on-screen elements gives you a wonderful haptic response. Long-holding anywhere in the app quickly lets you toggle themes, and Siri Shortcuts let you do the same, and more. Awesome.
We’ve also thrown in some cool things like 3D Touch support, Today Extension, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app! We hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon?”, you may ask. Well, it’s a federated and decentralised social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the 500 character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
- Beautiful and clean interface
- Fast and lightweight
- Light mode (day), dark mode (dusk), darker mode (night) and true black dark mode (midnight) themes (you could even set up Siri Shortcuts to do this for you magically)
- Themes and customisation
- Supercharged toot composition screen with a powerful media gallery, text styling options, ASCII text face insertion, instance emoticons, now playing content insertion, picture pasting, and user autocomplete
- Browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Powerful media app-drawer with a gallery slider, and drag-and-drop deletion
- Supercharged media viewer and Picture-in-Picture videos that can be dragged around
- Swipe actions to like/boost/reply (swipe right)
- Swipe actions to mute/block/report/translate/share (swipe left)
- Alt image text addition and viewing support
- Pinch the screen anywhere to toot a screenshot
- Translate toots
- Threaded toot conversations
- Notifications and activity
- List creation support
- View pinned and liked toots
- View muted and blocked users
- Gorgeous profiles with links
- Dynamic hashtags, related, and user search
- Adjustable segments
- Instance emoticons display and composition support
- Account locking and follower requests
- Customisable gestures
- iPad app
- Hardware keyboard shortcuts
- 3D Touch Peek and Pop
- 3D Touch Quick Actions
- Today Extension
- Share Extensions for Photos and Safari
- Siri Shortcuts
- Watch app with timelines and profile, works over cellular
- Cute iMessage stickers
- Joyful haptics and alerts
- Real time streaming
- Push notifications
- Subtle volume indicator
- Dynamic app icon changing
- Useful settings to customise as you see fit
(Requires a Mastodon account)
We’re constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, we’d love to hear it! Come visit us on Mastodon and let’s craft an incredible toot browsing experience together.
There were a few concerns about timeline scroll positions not being retained, so we made it a priority to fix it. We know how frustrating it can be to lose your place, whether it’s in a social media app, a shopping queue, or on a support helpline whilst listening to some mind-numbing hold music. We’ve got you.
- Home timelines will now retain scroll position
- Swiping through multiple media now doesn't use the first image as a placeholder for all images
- Fixed issue where replying to toots with a certain visibility wouldn't also make the reply the same visibility
- Fixed issue where replying to toots or delete and redrafting with a content warning wouldn't also retain the content warning
- Fixed issue where the timeline would scroll to the top when switching back to the home tab from some other sections
- Fixed issue where using the Share Extension from the iOS screenshot overlay wouldn't work
- Minor UI adjustments
Coming in the near future:
- Multiple accounts support
- Better timeline loading to prevent gaps and missing toots
We've also open sourced our code to help creatives and developers see for themselves how to go about making their own Mastodon client. Let's spread some joy this festive season.
Mast never prompts you for a review within the app because we believe browsing your timeline should be a distraction-free experience. If you feel generous and have some time to spare, please consider leaving a review. It helps more than you can imagine. Thank you! :)
Ratings and Reviews
The best Mastodon client for iOS
Without question this is the best Mastodon client on iOS currently, lots of customisation, clean usable design. But it needs some improvement to be five stars.
• When looking at a toot you can’t see if you have liked or boosted it already, the buttons should give you an indication
• Notifications don’t seem to work at all
• Apple Watch app just displays placeholder text “Username” “Toot”
• Multiple account support
Not very good
Unfortunately I think I may have wasted my money with this purchase. The UI is ok, albeit very childish with its confetti every time you interact with the app, and larger than life icons. But what really frustrated me was the lack of customisation, yes you can change the theme and even the icon, but the dev should have taken care of the core stuff first. You can’t customise the feeds you see, or how many. Also when refreshing, I just get a few new toots, so if I’ve been away for a few days, I have to refresh multiple time (like 20) to get to the top of the feed.
If changing the theme and having confetti pop every time you post is important to you, then buy this app. However, if actual usability is, I’d probably stay away for the time being.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for expressing your concerns regarding Mast. We have the option to disable the confetti via the settings section (which you’ve suggested there aren’t enough of - you can change almost every aspect of the app that can be changed according to the Mastodon network). The app may seem childish, and the fun/bubbly look is exactly what I was going for, which the plethora of screenshots and app videos already demonstrate. Toot loading is down to how Mastodon handles it, as it can only fetch 20 at a time, a limitation that we don’t like either. I appreciate that this app isn’t to your liking, I’m sorry about that, but there’s nothing there that wasn’t already conveyed across in the App Store details and screenshots. Thank you.
Visually this is great, and there are lots of customisation options.
I’ve experienced a few crashes, and there are usability improvements needed in places - for example when viewing another instances timeline you should have the option of doing so with your primary account, at the moment it just fails - but it’s a good start and I’m happy to buy it to support the developer.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the support! Most of the crashes are getting fixed progressively, hold tight. :)
- Shihab Mehboob
- 43.8 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Calf Tip £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.