Mast is a beautiful Mastodon app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. With customisable content and themes, it’s most definitely the perfect choice.
The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy, and tapping the on-screen elements gives you a wonderful haptic response. Long-holding anywhere in the app quickly lets you toggle themes, and Siri Shortcuts let you do the same, and more. Awesome.
We’ve also thrown in some cool things like 3D Touch support, Today Extension, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app! We hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon?”, you may ask. Well, it’s a federated and decentralised social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the increased character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
- Beautiful and clean interface
- Fast and lightweight
- Light mode (day), dark mode (dusk), darker mode (night), true black dark mode (midnight), and midnight blue themes (you could even set up Siri Shortcuts to do this for you magically)
- Themes and customisation
- Multiple user accounts
- Supercharged toot composition screen with a powerful media gallery, text styling options, ASCII text face insertion, instance emoticons, now playing content insertion, picture pasting, and user autocomplete
- Dedicated chat-like direct messages section
- Browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Powerful media app-drawer with a gallery slider, and drag-and-drop deletion
- Polls support (create, view, vote)
- Supercharged media viewer and Picture-in-Picture videos that can be dragged around
- Dedicated direct messages chat-like section
- Swipe actions to like/boost/reply (swipe right)
- Swipe actions to mute/block/report/translate/share (swipe left)
- Alt image text addition and viewing support
- Pinch the screen anywhere to toot a screenshot
- Schedule toots for the future
- Filter toots
- Endorse accounts
- Translate toots
- Threaded toot conversations
- Notifications and activity
- List creation support
- View pinned and liked toots
- View muted and blocked users
- Gorgeous profiles with links
- Dynamic hashtags, related, and user search
- Content warning overlays (shake to display again)
- Dynamic history view
- Adjustable segments
- Instance emoticons display and composition support
- Account locking and follower requests
- Customisable gestures
- iPad app
- Hardware keyboard shortcuts
- 3D Touch Peek and Pop
- 3D Touch Quick Actions
- Today Extension
- Share Extensions for Photos and Safari
- Siri Shortcuts
- Watch app with timelines and profile, works over cellular
- Cute iMessage stickers
- Joyful haptics and alerts
- Real time streaming
- Push notifications
- URL schemes
- Subtle volume indicator
- Dynamic app icon changing
- Useful settings to customise as you see fit
- Image and video audio to text conversion
- VoiceOver accessibility for the visually impaired
- Universal iOS app (iPhone, iPad, iPad Pro)
- Supports iOS multitasking on the iPad (Slide Over and Split View)
(Requires a Mastodon account)
We’re constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, we’d love to hear it! Come visit us on Mastodon and let’s craft an incredible toot browsing experience together.
More features, more fixes, more Mast.
- Added the ability to disable/enable any specific user's boosts on the home timeline via the ••• more button in users' profiles (note that you must already be following the user, and this will only disable/enable all future boosts by them)
- Added the ability to open links in Safari, which can be enabled via the settings section (links opens in the in-app browser by default)
- Added the ability to type out emoticon names (or parts of emoticon names) when composing toots to give suggestions for and display the respective emoticon, where tapping the displayed emoticon adds it to the toot (in the same way that emojis are suggested when typing in the stock iOS keyboard)
- Added a settings option to disable emoticon suggestions when composing toots
- Added direct message streaming to fetch new messages in threads and chats automatically without the need to pull to refresh
- Direct messages now also display the time and date that they were sent at
- The direct message tab now displays a notification badge when receiving a new streamed message
- Redesigned the drafts section to also display images if the draft contains any
- Added the ability to swipe left on drafts to delete them
- The drafts section now displays how many drafts there are
- Toots with multiple images on the iPad now displays a count above the image to indicate how many images that toot contains
- Deleting a toot from within the toot's detail conversations view will now you back to the previous view where you came from
- Adding a new account now presents the keyboard to start typing with immediately rather than waiting for the user to tap the text field
- Improved sensitive content containers and phrasing
- Fixed the layout of some toots that contained multiple images
- Fixed issue where attempting to post a toot (especially with images) would sometimes freeze or crash the app
- Fixed issue where switching segments in the timelines would displace the timeline scroll position
- Fixed issue where the toot button when composing toots wouldn't be dimmed before adding some text to the toot
- Fixed issue where saving a draft would overwrite all previous drafts
- Fixed issue where adding a new account would sometimes add it twice
- Fixed issue where tapping some images in toots would sometimes crash the app
- Fixed some crashes that would occur when liking/boosting some toots
- Fixed issue where some toots would display a box around various elements
- Fixed issue where some toots would be displaced, and tapping them would take you to the wrong toot's details and conversations
- Fixed issue where instance emoticons wouldn't be displayed on initial load
- Fixed issue where swiping left on lists via the top-left navigation bar icon wouldn't delete the respective list, or present the option to edit the list or view the list's members
- Fixed various scroll position retention issues
- Fixed a crash that would occur when swiping down on a Share Extension
- Fixed issue where the Today Extension would crash sometimes when coming across a toot without a display picture for the user
- Fixed various crashes on the Watch app
- Smoother segment switching
- Improved timeline load speeds
- Improved profile load speeds
- Improved overall app performance
- Minor UI adjustments
- Minor bug fixes
Hey, you. Thank you for supporting Mast and being awesome. I'm aware that there are a few bugs here and there that need to be squashed, and I'm working super hard to address those and add exciting new things alongside. If you enjoy using Mast and like this update, please consider leaving a review and spreading the word. It helps with delivering great continued support. Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
Not very good
Unfortunately I think I may have wasted my money with this purchase. The UI is ok, albeit very childish with its confetti every time you interact with the app, and larger than life icons. But what really frustrated me was the lack of customisation, yes you can change the theme and even the icon, but the dev should have taken care of the core stuff first. You can’t customise the feeds you see, or how many. Also when refreshing, I just get a few new toots, so if I’ve been away for a few days, I have to refresh multiple time (like 20) to get to the top of the feed.
If changing the theme and having confetti pop every time you post is important to you, then buy this app. However, if actual usability is, I’d probably stay away for the time being.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for expressing your concerns regarding Mast. We have the option to disable the confetti via the settings section (which you’ve suggested there aren’t enough of - you can change almost every aspect of the app that can be changed according to the Mastodon network). The app may seem childish, and the fun/bubbly look is exactly what I was going for, which the plethora of screenshots and app videos already demonstrate. Toot loading is down to how Mastodon handles it, as it can only fetch 20 at a time, a limitation that we don’t like either. I appreciate that this app isn’t to your liking, I’m sorry about that, but there’s nothing there that wasn’t already conveyed across in the App Store details and screenshots. Thank you.
Visually this is great, and there are lots of customisation options.
I’ve experienced a few crashes, and there are usability improvements needed in places - for example when viewing another instances timeline you should have the option of doing so with your primary account, at the moment it just fails - but it’s a good start and I’m happy to buy it to support the developer.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the support! Most of the crashes are getting fixed progressively, hold tight. :)
Style AND substance, wow!
It’s not often that I come across an application that is both extremely functional and easy-to-use whilst also being drop-dead gorgeous, but Mast has accomplished this!
It’s literally thanks to Mast that I made my Mastodon account. Congratulations on a job, excellently-done!
- Shihab Mehboob
- 135.2 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2018 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Calf Tip £0.99
- Mastodon Tip £9.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.