MathBoard now supports iCloud Syncing, along with a host of other newer technologies, like Text to Speech as well as Speech Input, the Apple Pencil, Slide Over and Split Views and more.
MathBoard® is a highly configurable math app appropriate for all school aged children. Beginning in kindergarten, with simple addition and subtraction problems, through elementary school where learning multiplication and division can be a real challenge. MathBoard will allow you to configure the app to best match the abilities of your individual child/student.
More than just standard drills, MathBoard encourages students to actually solve problems, and not just guess at answers. This is done by providing multiple answer styles, as well as a scratchboard area where problems can be worked out by hand. Students can also turn to MathBoard's Problem Solver for further help. This powerful teaching feature walks students through the steps required to solve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division equations. Additionally, the included quick reference tables serve as a valuable learning tool.
Math Activities. These activities include Find the Sign, Equality/Inequality, and Match Math (a memory game). Each activity is based upon the current settings level, so the difficulty will vary based on the student’s knowledge.
WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY:
“This is the best integer practice app or program I have found in 34 years of teaching math.”- Tim Seiber, Math Teacher
“MathBoard has charm without losing track of its fundamental purpose (Arithmetic drills).” - MacWorld (4 out of 5 mice)
“MathBoard is a stunning app for teaching addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problems. The number of customization options available makes this a brilliant app for making math fun for elementary school children.” - androapple
- Random equation generation for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Squares, Cubes, and Square Root problems.
- Number ranges are configurable, including the ability to require certain numbers to be in each problem and the ability to omit negative answers.
- Number and order of displayed digits can be limited, allowing for equations to conform to certain learning levels (e.g. 2 digit numbers over 1 digit numbers).
- Generates simple equations, as well as single step algebraic equations. (e.g. 6+x=12; x-8=2; 5x=25).
- Intelligent problem and "wrong answer" generation makes guessing more difficult.
- Includes both multiple choice, as well as, fill in the blank style questions.
- Activities and quizzes can be timed, either as a countdown timer or elapsed time.
- Equation configuration settings can be saved for future use as well as shared with others.
- Multiple student profiles are supported. Includes the ability to save, review, and share the results for activities and quizzes with others.
- Problem Solver will outline the steps needed to solve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems.
- In addition to standard drills, activities are included (Find the Sign, Equality/Inequality and Match Math).
- Quick reference math tables for counting, addition, subtraction, and multiplication.
- iCloud (syncing) support.
- Support for Slide Over and Split View.
- Support for the Apple Pencil.
- Keyboard commands.
Updated for iOS 12
Ratings and Reviews
Just what we were looking for
Having looked at just about every other app of this kind in the app store, this comes closest to perfect for our needs. The flexibility in setting quiz types, range of numbers, timings, operator types, etc. is immense, and allows us to tailor quizzes to exactly what is coming up in school.
The previous review claiming "misrepresentation" is a bit unfair, as the Apple ad (with no control by the app developer) shows the chalkboard being used to practice a problem, which is exactly what it was designed for. It would be unreasonable to expect accurate handwriting recognition of a child's handwriting, and would probably cause more frustration than anything.
If I were to criticise this app for anything, it would be that it's a bit dry. There is no recognition of, or reward for, improvement. A few simple badges, or even just words of praise for progress would encourage further practice.
Similarly, as of v1.6, while test results are recorded, there is no analysis of improvements in speed or accuracy over time. I'm sure the developer will get to this in a future version.
All in all though, the best in class for this type of app.
My Son's Times Tables Have Improved
The summer holidays are here and I make my son do an hour's school work every day to keep his brain active. This app can be tweaked to choose which tables are included in tests, number of questions, etc., so you can customise to your child's own personal requirements.
Since using the app, there has been a definite improvement in my son's memory of the times tables and he likes the challenge of improving his speed with each test.
Make sure you check the test - the child can opt for "play again" and just do the same test over and over again (yes, my son tried that one)!
My little lady of 10 is a little behind in maths compared to her brother, this app can tailor little tests based on their skills and so doesn't push them away and can build confidence when needed. Also I love the section that they can input any sum and it will then show each step to help them resolve when they do it themselves in future.
I wasn't sure whether to buy as the price is high compared to others and had no review so thought I would help put some context for others when considering.
- PalaSoftware Inc.
- 25.8 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright ©2010-18 palasoftware Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.