By Graham Haley
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SALE - 50% OFF!
Apple's iPad APP OF THE WEEK (UK and Ireland), March 2011
AppStore Rewind 2011, one of Apple's favourite iPhone finance apps of 2011 (UK and Ireland)
Closely monitor your household energy and water usage and the chances are you will SAVE MONEY!
This useful application makes it easy to MONITOR your household utility meters. Once you start entering readings, your usage, costs and savings are calculated and displayed in easy to visualise graphs.
For UK users, you can also compare your usage and costs against energy supplier prices in your area to see if you can SAVE EVEN MORE money. You can even switch suppliers directly from your device!
- Monitor up to NINE separate household meters, e.g. electricity, gas, water, solar ... etc
- Quick entry of readings, as often as you like
- Use the rear-facing torch/flashlight when reading your meters (if your device has one)
- Local reminders so you don't forget to enter your readings
- Displays usage and costs for the latest readings period, and compares this with your average or previous year
- Plots graphs of usage and costs per day, week, month, quarter or year, so that you can visualise changes over time, e.g. against the previous year
- Multiple colour themes (black, red, blue, green ... etc)
- Import historical readings from a CSV file
- Export readings as a CSV file for easy import into a spreadsheet
- Backup your data and sync it between devices by email, AirDrop, Dropbox or iCloud
- Universal app, works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
METERS, CURRENCY AND RATES
- User configurable units, so the app could be used for other types of measurement
- Support for meters that count up (e.g. electricity, gas, water ... etc), down (e.g. oil, petrol/gas ... etc), or where your readings ARE your usage (e.g. broadband data)
- Uses the currency from your device's region setting, but you can override this per meter (e.g. for holiday homes)
- Handles a wide range of rates and charges, e.g. fixed or time based rates, per-unit rates, stepped rates for up to 12 levels, Economy 7/10, time of day meters ... etc
- Support for rate changes, if/when you switch supplier or they change your rates
- Check your bills by comparing any pair of readings (e.g. those submitted to your supplier)
- View your usage and costs since your last bill, as well as an estimate of when and how much your next bill will be
PRICE COMPARISON (UK only)
- Compare your usage and costs against energy supplier prices for your postcode
- Completely independent tariff calculator from Energylinx, the UK's number 1 guide to utility prices
- Switch energy suppliers directly on your device, or email yourself a link to do it on a computer
PRO USER FEATURES (via a ONE-TIME in-app purchase)
- Removes the restriction on meter numbers, e.g. for landlords, businesses and professionals
Please don't leave support requests on iTunes as these are anonymous and I have no way of contacting you if I have questions. Instead there is a link to my support page from iTunes and from the app itself (or simply go to http://grahamhaley.co.uk/meters/).
Alternatively, PLEASE contact me directly via my support pages and you will get a quick response.
What's New in Version 5.1
This update is necessary to migrate to some new APIs from Dropbox, as the old ones are being permanently disabled at the end of June 2017!
If you are currently using the Apps folder to store your backup files, you shouldn't notice any difference. However if you are using the Root (i.e. top level) folder, you will need to re-link the app to Dropbox to continue using their service. Unfortunately files cannot be migrated automatically, but this is very easy to do from a computer. Please see my support site or get in touch if you need help.
If you think the torch functionality is not working, chances are you have disabled access to the camera in your device's privacy settings (this is set per app). I now detect this and warn about it on the Settings screen.
Note that you now require iOS 8 or above. Older versions (of iOS and my app) will continue to work, but you will no longer get updates.
Used it for ages
I've used this app for ages now, and it is easy and intuitive to enter the readings and see the compatison graph once you've got enough readings.
It can be a hassle, however, when it comes to adding a new meter or your tariff changes. One tip to developer would be to split the meter settings page into two parts; keep there the things you only ever set once, such as no. of decimal places - but move the pricing settings into the gear button on the main screen for quicker access.
I've been using this app for 9 years (according to my stored readings) and it has become indispensible. It is the way I manage my gas/elec bills, which at just over £900/year, has to be done. The routine meter readings are easy to input, the instant check of bills and trends simple. Some of the lesser used features (like meter changes every 20 years) require a brain cell but it is all very logical. I'm impressed and this app gets a rare 5* review.
A great app
I love apps that do one thing and do them well. This is one of those apps! It's proven invaluable for helping track my utility usage and therefore to help ensure I'm on the right tariff.
Support for new meters is particularly handy, though mine changed from ft3 to m3 so it took me a while to realise I wasn't comparing like with like.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Finance
- Updated: 18 April 2017
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Graham Haley
- © 2009-2017, Graham Haley
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Pro User Features£9.99