SALE - 50% OFF!
Apple's iPad APP OF THE WEEK (UK and Ireland), March 2011
AppStore Rewind 2011, one of Apple's favourite iPhone finance apps of 2011 (UK and Ireland)
Closely monitor your household energy and water usage and the chances are you will SAVE MONEY!
This useful application makes it easy to MONITOR your household utility meters. Once you start entering readings, your usage, costs and savings are calculated and displayed in easy to visualise graphs.
For UK users, you can also compare your usage and costs against energy supplier prices in your area to see if you can SAVE EVEN MORE money. You can even switch suppliers directly from your device!
- Monitor up to NINE separate household meters, e.g. electricity, gas, water, solar ... etc
- Quick entry of readings, as often as you like
- Use the rear-facing torch/flashlight when reading your meters (if your device has one)
- Local reminders so you don't forget to enter your readings
- Displays usage and costs for the latest readings period, and compares this with your average or previous year
- Plots graphs of usage and costs per day, week, month, quarter or year, so that you can visualise changes over time, e.g. against the previous year
- Multiple colour themes (black, red, blue, green ... etc)
- Import historical readings from a CSV file
- Export readings as a CSV file for easy import into a spreadsheet
- Backup your data and sync it between devices by email, AirDrop, Dropbox or iCloud
- Universal app, works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
METERS, CURRENCY AND RATES
- User configurable units, so the app could be used for other types of measurement
- Support for meters that count up (e.g. electricity, gas, water ... etc), down (e.g. oil, petrol/gas ... etc), or where your readings ARE your usage (e.g. broadband data)
- Uses the currency from your device's region setting, but you can override this per meter (e.g. for holiday homes)
- Handles a wide range of rates and charges, e.g. fixed or time based rates, per-unit rates, stepped rates for up to 12 levels, Economy 7/10, time of day meters ... etc
- Support for rate changes, if/when you switch supplier or they change your rates
- Check your bills by comparing any pair of readings (e.g. those submitted to your supplier)
- View your usage and costs since your last bill, as well as an estimate of when and how much your next bill will be
PRICE COMPARISON (UK only)
- Compare your usage and costs against energy supplier prices for your postcode
- Completely independent tariff calculator from Energylinx, the UK's number 1 guide to utility prices
- Switch energy suppliers directly on your device, or email yourself a link to do it on a computer
PRO USER FEATURES (via a ONE-TIME in-app purchase)
- Removes the restriction on meter numbers, e.g. for landlords, businesses and professionals
Please don't leave support requests on iTunes as these are anonymous and I have no way of contacting you if I have questions. Instead there is a link to my support page from iTunes and from the app itself (or simply go to http://grahamhaley.co.uk/meters/).
Alternatively, PLEASE contact me directly via my support pages and you will get a quick response.
Added more options for exporting readings and backup files, e.g. using AirDrop or directly to other apps.
Added a workaround for an iOS issue where the wrong decimal separator is used on the iPhone decimal number keypad. This prevented some users from entering detailed rates.
Note that you now require iOS 9 or above. Older versions (of iOS and the app) should continue to work, but you will no longer get updates.
Ratings and Reviews
Smart app, but needs redesign
I think it’s a really smart app - all you need is to enter your readings and it calculates god knows what sort of statistics and can even help you get a cheaper supplier at a touch of a button.
But it’s too complicated. I don’t know what half of the functions do. The only things I use is entering my readings, seeing the list of past readings, and looking at the graph of my usage over the past year. The usage cost shown for my meters is inaccurate and most just show 0.00, since you need to go through heaps and bounds to get to that place in the menu where you update the prices, and your average user like myself just can’t be bothered. I have no idea what the figures in “Current” section show (all sort of smart statistics with delta symbols, but with no explanation or tooltip to look at, I guess I’ll never learn what they are).
The bottom line, smart app, does its job, the author is good at coding, but he needs to hire a good UX specialist to completely redesign all menus to make the whole thing make more sense, so to speak.
Developer Response ,
The app can only show you the cost of your energy if you enter your rates. If you don't do this, then yes it will show £0.00 (hardly inaccurate). Current is simply the most recent period of time you have chosen (day, week, month ... etc), basically the right most point on the graph. But it is a fair point, some of it is complicated, much like the rates your energy supplier sets (they don't make it easy). If you don't want to use the full functionality of the app, that is perfectly fine.
Very Useful And Reliable App
I have had this App for approximately five years! The App is user friendly and undoubtedly not only saved me time but allowed me to manage my energy utilities with ease! I can’t comment on the surport because I have never required Surport, however I am confident that surport would be provided if required! The App has been updated when required and never had to pay to re-download or found myself paying for a replacement app because the original App has suddenly been abandoned by the developer!
Very useful, complete and easy to use
It is easy to put your readings in, manage multiple meters, add in new meters when you get them replaced, compare usage over time and better understand your energy usage. Really handy when you come to change suppliers and all your information is in one place in industry standard figures. Regular updates keep this essential app up to date and fighting fit.
- Graham Haley
- 19.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2019, Graham Haley
- In-App Purchases
- Pro User Features £9.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.