Microsoft Translator is a free, personal translation app for 60+ languages, to translate text, voice, conversations, camera photos and screenshots. You can even download languages for offline translation for free to use when you travel!
• Text translation into over 60 languages*, for online and offline use
• Camera translation to translate text within photos and screenshots
• Voice translation to translate speech, and a split-screen mode for two participants having a bilingual conversation
• Multi-person conversation translation - connect your devices and have in-person conversations with up to 100 people across multiple languages
• Phrasebooks for verified translations and pronunciation guides to help you learn important phrases in foreign languages when you travel
• Look up alternate translations and meanings of a word to find the best translation to express yourself
• Download languages for offline use for when you travel without an internet connection
• Hear your translated phrase out loud to help you learn how to say the translation
• View transliterations (pronunciation guides) to help you pronounce the translation (includes Pinyin support for Chinese)
• Share your translations with other apps
• Pin and save your most frequent translations for later
• Translate websites on Safari using the Microsoft Translator browser extension
• Speak to your Apple watch to get an instant translation
• Automatically sync translations between your phone and Apple watch
Translator supports the following languages: Afrikaans, Arabic, Bangla, Bosnian (Latin), Bulgarian, Cantonese (Traditional), Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Fijian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong Daw, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kiswahili, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malagasy, Malay, Maltese, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Quer'etaro Otomi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tahitian, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, and Yucatec Maya.
Microsoft Translator is powered by cutting-edge technology used by Office, Bing, Skype, Internet Explorer as well as by partners such as Twitter, Yelp, eBay, WeChat and more.
Location Permission: Microsoft only uses your location to show you where conversation occurred. We display this location in your conversation history.
*Some features are not available in all languages.
•Revised behavior for profanity filter: now, only profanities recognized in speech will be filtered
•Improvement for crash reporting
•Improvement for image translation, especially large texts
•Revised default language settings
•Other bug fixes and crash fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This app had the ability to transform the world! I can't convey how much I am wowed by it. Speech translated into really accurate text, signage translated by taking a simple snap. It's just awesome, in the true sense of the word. Give the people who work on this a pay rise! They are making the world a better place, and helping people to build bridges and forge relationships that would otherwise have been impossible. Magic!
Use the tool to communicate with people of a many different nationalities. The main drawback would be sentence structure, so something like 'Sheila takes daily walks' may translated to 'Sheila walks daily' which isn't so bad. Other times it may be 'daily walks consume Sheila' or worse lol. Most people seem to appreciate the effort though, while a more professional standard of communication would be required in certain circumstances
Apple Watch app is totally broken. Changing language on the watch does nothing, you now have to change language via the phone app. After translation pressing the icon for it to speak the result causes the app to crash back to the watches app menu. Overall a pretty poor effort, I’m guessing it’s due to iOS 11 and Watch OS 4 but even small developers have made their apps compatible so Microsoft really has no excuse.
Edit: Looking at other reviews people have been having the same issues since at least May, so the problem is Microsoft not iOS 11 or Watch OS 4.
- Microsoft Corporation
- 153.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.