Minds of Modern Mathematics
By IBM Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
If you have ever wondered how mathematicians and mathematics have shaped the world we live in, this is the app for you. The Minds of Modern Mathematics takes you on an interactive journey that spans nearly 1,000 years. It tells the story of mathematics and how it has impacted almost every aspect of human progress, from science to music, art, architecture, and culture.
Minds of Modern Mathematics is a digital recreation of a 50-foot-wide wall installation that was part of the groundbreaking 1961 Mathematica exhibition sponsored by IBM and designed by the legendary design team, Charles and Ray Eames.
Composed with the same passion for design and interactive learning that fueled Charles and Ray Eames, the Minds of Modern Mathematics lets you explore the fascinating history of mathematics on your own terms. Features include:
• Millennium view: Get a bird’s-eye view of the entire history of math, including the explosion of discoveries in recent times.
• Century view: See the rich interplay of ideas between contemporary mathematicians, culture, and history.
• 3D Chronological view: Step through the entire timeline one object at a time.
• Mathematician profiles: Discover each mathematician through a high-resolution portrait, detailed personal biography, achievements, related artifacts, and links to online information resources.
• Artifacts: Explore 495 high-resolution images of artifacts selected and painstakingly retouched from the original Mathematica exhibit.
• Original poster: View a fully navigable, ultra high-resolution version of the original Men of Modern Mathematics poster that has been proudly displayed in mathematics departments and classrooms around the world.
• Eames mathematics films: Watch nine original Eames educational films, experiencing these master educators’ genius at making complex topics easy to understand.
What's New in Version 1.01
- Bug Fixes for iOS 5
Wonderful App even if you are not a mathematician.
IBM has done wonders here. It has given me hours of enjoyment and I've only scraped the surface with people I have heard of. Even though it's a history of mathematics there is sufficient material about history in general to keep any inquisitive person enthralled. And it's free.
Crashes with latest operating system
This app crashes with latest operating system.
It needs full updating. When working, it was a wonderful learning application.
5 stars if it worked
Yep. Just keeps crashing, such a shame.