Mountain Steps UK is a multi-functional application designed specifically for the unique mountain environment.
If you’re a total beginner, a keen mountain newcomer, or training for the Three Peaks Challenge, then this is the only app you’ll need.
Even if you’re already an enthusiastic lowland walker, Mountain Steps UK has the knowledge for a safe transition to the mountain scene, and provides articles on the unique aspects of the mountain environment.
Features include –
- Photo-supported route guides and interactive maps of ALL major routes up Snowdon, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, Pen y Fan, and Cadair Idris. Including how to get to the start!
(We’ve recently added 8 routes for Pen y Fan and Cadair Idris. Other mountains and regions will continue to be added over time)
- Kit advice for newbies, from socks to basic emergency kit.
- Tuition on how to navigate with a map and compass.
- Emergency awareness and ‘essential’ first aid, combined with emergency procedures if it all goes wrong.
- Current location finders, grid reference calculators, magnetic declination algorithms, and constantly updated sunset times.
- A large range of articles on plants and their uses, birds, history, sport and a multitude of other mountain-specific topics.
- Contains over 120,000 words and 400 photographs!
- 10% of the profits to be donated to Mountain Rescue.
See our recent reviews
Tap! – The iPhone and iPad Magazine
Mountain Steps UK is built with the knowledge of more than 40 years of combined experience, extensive training, and teaching others to enjoy themselves in a safe and responsible manner.
It’s not our aim for this app to become an all-encompassing guide to every route up every mountain, but to help you learn by it, become independent, and enjoy the mountains as much as we do.
Mountain Steps UK - Leading you every step of the way!
Find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Made changes to the mountain area forecasts to display the reports from the Snowdonia Warden report, and the Lake District Fell Top Assessor. Have added a new region, routes around Kinder Scout in the Peak District
Ratings and Reviews
Worth every penny!
Nominally for people new to the Great Outdoors but this app contains so much extra info ( from club moss to whisky!) that it's worth getting for more experienced walkers too. I used it in the Lakes and Ben Nevis this summer and loved it. Overviews of major routes lead to clear and detailed step-by-step guides that can be reversed from ascent to descent. Nifty (even if in dodgy weather you're not likely to keep looking at your phone). Good to see that 10% goes to Mountain Rescue too: the app has clearly been produced with care and it's worth every penny!
A real gem!
It’s lucky this app has plenty of pictures as it seems some reviewers just can’t read! The content is clearly listed in bullet points and as an inexperienced hill walker it’s just what I was looking for. It has simple advice on clothing and the articles on navigation were so easy to understand. Direct Route up Scaffell Pike was great fun and I can’t wait to try the others. I showed my Dad and he loved the stuff about the plants.
Great value app
Especially good for beginners or those not familiar with the big three UK mountains. Does feel a bit text heavy and 'booky' but its well written. Don't know why ppl complain it's only three mountains - it clearly says that in the description! I'd happily pay more for additional mountains/routes.
- Mountain Steps UK Ltd
- 223 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Copyright Mountain Steps UK Ltd 2011, 2015,2017
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.