Mutter is a free and easy-to-use IRC client optimised for the iPhone and iPad. It allows you to connect to thousands of IRC networks all over the world, and chat to people about any topic you can think of.
- Multiple servers with network presets
- Auto-completion for nicknames and commands
- User interface for managing command aliases
- Dark mode variant of the user interface
- Theme support for chat views
- Pull-to-search across channels, queries, and networks
- Touch ID and passcode protected access
- 3D Touch support to peek and pop into chats and links
- Configurable scrollback buffer size
- IRC text formatting supporting bold, italic, underline, and colours
- Shows images inline (including animated GIFs)
- Split-screen Multitasking for the iPad
- Expandable and collapsible networks in network list
- Built in commands with support for user-defined aliases
- Integrates with Spotify and Apple Music
- Notification overlay with tappable actions (e.g. connect, join channel, etc)
- Highlight on specific keywords or phrases
- Highlights easily accessible by tapping on the "Networks" title
- Configurable swipe gestures to easily traverse networks and chats
- Shake gesture to clear message counts for chats
- Ignore users (someone getting on your nerves?)
- Manage channel modes and properties
- Send Photo from Photo Library or Camera
- iCloud synchronisation of settings
- Execute commands on connection
- Supports ZNC 1.6 or later
- Supports Push Notifications via Mutter Push ZNC module
- Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
- Lag indicator and auto reconnect
- German localisation
- IRCv3 compliant
- Added ability to connect Mutter to your Imgur account so uploaded photos can be managed from your account
- Added ability to add new ban entries within the channel ban list interface
- Added ability to edit existing ban entries within the channel ban list interface
- Added per-channel setting to show/hide events (e.g. join, parts, etc.) or inherit global setting
- Added support for IRCv3 account-tag
- Added support for IRCv3 echo-message
- Aliases can now reference the time with $time
- Aliases can now reference the date with $date
- Fixed issue with SASL sending nickname instead of username (thanks eskimo)
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using another app in the past (which cost me) and every version is buggy on release. For example you cannot PM from the chat, says Offline, but will PM from the list. This makes it horrid to use!
Mutter is my replacement. It’s stable, it works reliably, it does pretty much all I want it to. It has an easier interface than the competitor. I can use commands with it like /nick and /join and /List.
So, a very nice bit of coding...
Suggestions for improvements:
- Option to pay a one off fee. It’s great it’s free but Apple charge an annual fee of £100 area a year. I’d pay a small fee for this. Lots won’t but simple to add.
- Icon blue when online
- Icon grey when offline
- Icon another colour when nick is online but just sitting there all day. Not sure if support for that though.
- Does !seen work?
Anyway, five stars (4.5) :)
First of all thanks for a great review - it's always good to hear positive feedback. We like the idea of changing the icon based on status, but unfortunately it is not possible to programatically change the icon without prompting the user. The !seen command tends to be a channel bot command, but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be implemented in the client on a ZNC connection.
First of all I would like to thank the developers of this app for providing a free client in which we can chat via IRC. From what I’ve seen so far navigation through the app is seamless and smooth- and there is no lag or delay.
That being said is there anyway to enable DDC? (Downloading files off IRC) Either I’ve missed an option in the settings menu and I’m also not very familiar with IRC.
Polished, an obvious labour of love
I'm new to IRC. Mutter makes it easy for a beginner, it's packed with what I'd imagine are power-user features, there's enough help at the web site, and the developer is very approachable and amenable to feature requests. I'm currently trying to break the betas, and pretty-much failing; updates are frequent. A five star rating is easy.
Thanks for a great review :)
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.