National Theatre Backstage
By National Theatre
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
National Theatre Backstage invites you into the world of theatre, revealing the work we make, and the people who make it. The app gives you access to premium National Theatre content, including enhanced digital programmes, and a free, regularly-updated content stream. And, for the first time, you can view archive programmes from our 50-year history.
The free content stream is your free backstage pass: here you'll find a wealth of rehearsal room images and footage; interviews with actors, theatre-makers and experts; costume-making films; stimulating editorial and in-depth articles; audio, video and photography.
The National's celebrated programmes are now published digitally. They showcase additional exclusive content and many interactive features. Titles include:
- Angels in America
- Twelfth Night
- Ugly Lies The Bone
- Peter's Shadow
- Hedda Gabler
- The Threepenny Opera
- As You Like It
- Jane Eyre
What's New in Version 1.10.0
- Bug fixes
- Performance improvements
Has potential & some problems
Each programme is currently £2.99 which seemed a bit steep at first, but on reflection is fairly comparable to what I usually pay at a theatre. The content is decent quality (and again, comparable in quantity to what you'd get in a typical theatre print programme). Another reviewer says it's all available for free if you look online - which it probably is - but I don't begrudge it because of the convenience and momento factor.
The app does have issues though. I find the interface temperamental on both an iPad and iPad Mini. Navigation 'sticks' and you can't always scroll down or exit a section. My big moan is there's no easy way to see the programmes you've already paid for. It could really do with an obvious 'My Programs' section.
All in all, it's going to stay on my device and I'll probably check to see if there's a programme for the next NT Live screening we go to.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 20 July 2017
- Version: 1.10.0
- Size: 37.2 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Developer: The Royal National Theatre
- © National Theatre
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Hamlet Digital Programme£2.99
- Coriolanus Digital Programme£2.99
- The Threepenny Opera digital programme£2.99
- Twelfth Night Digital Programme£2.99
- As You Like it Digital Programme£2.99
- The Deep Blue Sea digital programme£2.99
- Amadeus Digital Programme£2.99
- Angels in America Digital Programme£2.99
- Hedda Gabler Digital Programme£2.99
- wonder.Land Digital Programme£2.99