Nave - next generation Wavetable Synthesis
Nave is Waldorf’s first synthesizer App development – created by chief engineer and director Stefan Stenzel, NLog mastermind Rolf Wöhrmann and Design Guru Axel Hartmann.
The Nave sound engine includes two novel Wavetable oscillators, leaving every previous attempt in wavetable synthesis far behind. The spectrum of a sound can be transposed independently of its pitch. The waves are being rendered periodically to noisy. Especially sounds with an accent on formants can be reproduced easily, which made us integrate a speech synthesizer for the easy creation of wavetables.
The clearly structured UI invites both beginners and advanced users to experiment, and the large display of the iPad makes Wavetable creation and editing a blast. Besides Speech Synthesis, Wavetables can also be made by analysing audio files. Further stretching, rotating and shifting in spectral domain allows Wavetables to be further refined or distorted.
All factory Wavetables from Microwave, Wave and Blofeld are included, complemented by new ones that make extensive useof the enhanced possibilities.
In addition to the Wavetable Oscillators, Nave offers an oscillator module featuring the novel Überwave that can fatten your sound by up to eight detuned oscillators.
The filter offers the familiar outstanding Waldorf sound, featuring lowpass, bandpass and highpass with either 12dB or 24dB slope.
The Drive section offers different characteristics, and it can be positioned in the signal path: before or after the filter, or as a summing overdrive before or after the equalizer - for those who prefer harsh screaming sounds over delicate Wavetable sweeps.
An extended modulation matrix and diverse real time control functionality is waiting for animating Nave sounds in any desired direction.
Besides the classic virtual chromatic keyboard, Nave can be played with the “Blades” that allow for dynamic triggering of polyphonic modulation by sliding the fingers in x or y direction.
The 4-track recorder can be used to build your own Nave songs or to simply sketch your music, inspired by the sounds of Nave.
Nave Specifications per Voice:
· Two independent advanced Wavetable Oscillators
· Osc module with up to 8 oscillator Überosc with sawtooth, triangle, PWM, white or pink noise
· Two Ring Modulators
· Multimode Filter with LP,BP and HP, each either 12 dB or 24 dB
· 3 Envelopes
· 2 LFO
· 10 Modulation Matrix Entries
· Drive with adjustable curve, depth and position
· Modulation Effect with either Chorus, Flanger or Phaser
· Modulation Delay
· High Quality Reverb
· Three band parametric Equalizer
· Keyboard with adjustable size, scrolling and glissando modes
· Blades with musical scales and optional chord mode
· Polyphonic X/Y finger modulation on keyboard and blades
· Modulation Wheel and Pitch Bender
· Up to 3 X/Y Control Pads
· Four Track Recorder with clip based editing
· Core MIDI in / out support
· MIDI device manager for external hardware and virtual connections
· Sync to MIDI Clock or WIST
· MIDI Learn
· Audiobus compatible
· Background Audio
· Polyphonic Unisono
· Speech Synthesizer for Wavetables
· 3D Wavetable Editing
· Generation of Wavetables from external audio files
· Audio Copy / Paste Support
· Patch Management with unlimited user banks and categories
· Import / Export audio and sound patches from iTunes
- AudioBus 3 update
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Plenty of competition but still right up there.
There have been so many synths since this was released and not many updates to Nave so it's kind of dropped out of the limelight, but I just returned to it after leaving it for a while to mess about with other stuff and it immediately brought a big smile to my face. There's so much variety here and some massively pleasing sounds to be had. IMO it's still got to be a contender in the top five must have synths. Like Animoog et al, it doesn't have, and might never have, an AU option but so what? It still fits nicely in a chain with AB3, Aum or whatever so it's not a huge deal. Now if they would just animate that waveform tracking along its image for me, just as a totally useless but very aesthetically pleasing cherry on the top!
This is a one of the most powerful and amazing sounding synths I have on any platform. The degree of control is just awesome (really) and quite addictive. This app has got everything. You will need a powerful iPad to handle it without crashing.
A++++++ fantastic so many variables you can spend hours playing about with one patch, and be constantly be surprised by what this app can create...
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.