By gandreas software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
One of the deepest, richest gameplay found in any game on any platform, NetHack is a cult classic since its release in 1987, and has since spawned many descendants (including Diablo). gandreas software now presents this classic for the iPhone/iPod Touch:
- Playable in either "ASCII" mode, or graphics mode (just rotate the device to switch)
- Obscure keyboard commands replaced with a simple taps for movement, or a handy command picker.
- Commands can also be activated by a unique gesture based command - want to search for a secret door? Swipe across the top of the play area (all the gestures are shown on the command picker for easy reference)
- Graphics can be zoomed in/out via pinch
- Completely faithful NetHack experience (all the levels, monsters, potions, scrolls, etc...)
- iPhone UI - standard scrolling lists, pickers, etc...
- Multiple tiles sets, from the classic to the sublime
- Never see a keyboard unless you are doing something like typing in a name!
Can you retrieve the Amulet of Yendor and return to the surface?
faithful NetHack, controls love/hate
This appears to be a port of NetHack, with some nice graphical touches. The control system uses gestures or picking from menus -- I am undecided whether the gestures are yet another hurdle to this game (which already has a very steep learning curve), or a nice way to deal with the many keys required by the original. If you enjoy NetHack, try it out. If you enjoy one of NetHack's offspring, such as the Diablo series, be prepared for some time spent learning how to control the game -- and expect to die, A LOT, until you get the hang of it. Those who persevere are rewarded with a deep storyline, many quests, and a lot of monsters to dispatch. Excuse me, while I go back to the game to start another Tourist character in search of the mythical Amulet of Yendor...
I never tried the original nethack but did play angband on my pc, when i first tried this version of nethack with the gesture controls I at first found it a little intimidating and thought it would be too much to remember but its surprising how you pick them up once you get playing, i'm hooked and love this game, don't expect an easy ride though YOU WILL DIE, amd you will die a lot but this is old skool gaming and the depth of it is amazing, it makes you realise many modern games are a lil dumbed down and jus look pretier. And with this app also being FREE how can anyone complain. good to sit and play at home or on a long journey. :)
Great port of the greatest game!
This is an outstanding port of Nethack 3.4.3. Using the innovative and responsive touch-gesture controls, it's easy to navigate, fight and use the inventory. Obviously you cannot edit the option files and you can't have more than one character at a time but most of the other options (certainly the relevant ones) are available through menus. With multiple graphical tilesets included and the ability to switch at any time means that you don't have to squint over tiny characters. It's free, it's incredibly deep and it's classic - the best RPG on iPhone.
- Category: Games
- Released: 23 October 2009
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 6.5 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Glenn Andreas
- © 2009 gandreas software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.