From satirical sketches to heartfelt poetry, this app gives a personal insight into the lives of nurses and their patients in Scottish War Hospitals during the First World War.
Florence Mellor kept a series of autograph books during her time as a volunteer nurse at war hospitals in Fife and Craiglockhart. Explore the artwork, poetry and messages contributed by wounded soldiers in her care.
• Swipe through 86 pages of Nurse Mellor’s three autograph books as well as a copy of the The Hydra, the hospital magazine at Craiglockhart.
• Read transcripts of personal messages and verses
• Magnify and rotate high quality images
This Project is part of the IWM First World War Centenary Partnership and WW100 Scotland.
Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Scottish Government.
- National Museums of Scotland
- 410.6 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- ©2016 National Museums Scotland
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.