NHS BMI healthy weight calculator and tracker
By NHS Choices
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This is the official NHS app for measuring body mass index (BMI). It works for adults and children and is the only calculator that uses the Department of Health’s official measurement system. Use it to:
- Measure and track you and your family’s BMI over time
- Set weight loss goals and get tips and advice
- Do quick BMI calculations for others and share via text or email
• Performs BMI calculation for adults and children over two years old
• Tracker functionality allows you to view weight and BMI change over time
• Multiple user profiles - great for managing the whole family’s BMI together
• Performs the same calculation for children as the National Child Measurement Programme
• Quick calculation function - allowing you to perform a one-off calculation for a friend or patient, with ability to share the results via text or email
• A helpful tip each time you enter a new weight
• Advice and information - whether you are underweight, a healthy weight, or overweight
• Reminders can be set to prompt you to track your latest weight
• Goal-setting functionality to help motivate you towards a healthy weight
• Guide area featuring health information and advice, real stories, video and podcasts
• Information on how BMI is calculated
• Ability to password protect individual user profiles
What's New in Version 1.3
Minor interface fixes
This is just the thing I need, having at last grasped the nettle of excess weight. I am following the NHS-supported on-line POWeR weight loss programme It's early days but I am glad to have found this way of tracking progress (and reinforcing resolve) with an NHS app - the programme is enjoyable and so effective. This app will help to keep me on track. I can use it to record my weight weekly or when I want - not obsessively on a daily basis as some pay-for apps demand.
Useful but could be improved
Easy way to track weight changes but could be improved by:
- Being able to set your own goals and see that on the chart
- being able to enter historical weights
- being able to disable the pop-up telling you you are still overweight etc after each weigh in (esp if pregnant!!)
- being able to choose pregnant (as well as adult or child) and no of weeks to know whether pregnancy weight gain is in a healthy range
This is a very NHS app, the content must have been written by an old school matron type. Useful weight tracking and to tell you your BMI, but extremely grouchy with it.
One day I entered my weight, then the following day or so it complained I'd not checked in for a while, so I just entered the same weight again. The comment came back "Not only have you not lost any weight, but you're still obese you lazy good for nothing idle...." or that's how it read anyway. It's not going to win any prizes for its motivational speaking.
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: 14 August 2012
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 8.5 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Antbits Ltd.
- © 2011 NHS Choices
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.