As a parent, do you sometimes ask yourself questions like...
Does my child spend too much time playing games?
What sorts of games does my child play?
Can I restrict games according to my child's age?
If so, this might be just the app for you!
Nintendo Switch Parental Controls™ is a free app that allows you to easily monitor your child's use of the Nintendo Switch console.
(Please note: A Nintendo Switch console with the latest available system version is required to use this app.)
With Nintendo Switch Parental Controls, you can:
1. Monitor your child's play time on the console.
Set a daily play time limit, which notifies your child on the console when time's up for the day. You can also check this app to see how long they've been playing. If necessary, you can also use the "Suspend Software" feature to make the console go into sleep mode when the set time is reached.
2. Find out what games your child plays.
Nintendo Switch Parental Controls provides convenient reports that show you what video games have been played on the console recently and how much time was spent playing each day.
View daily reports and monthly summaries of play activity. If you choose to receive push notifications, you'll be notified when a new monthly summary is available.
This will help you learn what games your child enjoys most.
3. Set restrictions to ensure your child can play safely, no matter their age.
Easily restrict features of the Nintendo Switch console as appropriate for your child. This includes restricting games above specific age ratings.
● In order to use the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, a parent or guardian (aged 18 or above) needs to have a Nintendo Account.
● You can set purchasing restrictions, including restrictions on purchasing products and services in Nintendo eShop, in the Nintendo Account settings.
● In order to make use of all of the features and settings available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, all linked Nintendo Switch consoles need to be using the latest system version.
・ News articles related to restricted software will no longer be readable on the Nintendo Switch console.
◆ Articles will be restricted following the settings in Settings -> Restriction Level -> Restricted Software.
・ You no longer need to enter your Parental Controls PIN when new internet settings are saved on the Nintendo Switch console. However, you will receive a notification each time new internet settings are saved.
・ Other small improvements have also been made.
Ratings and Reviews
Useful, but flawed
This has the makings of a slick application, but it is woefully inconsiderate of simple, practical considerations.
- Usage and time of day restrictions apply to the whole Switch. If you've got more than one child using it and one of them burns through the usage credit, well tough luck for the other one.
- No matter how many parent/guardians you have in a family group, only one of them can actually link a Switch. The rest might as well not bother using the app as it doesn't function at all without linking - you simply cannot get past the linking step to do anything, even if you're registered under an account that IS linked.
- There is no facility to suspend operation on demand. Child refusing to come to the table for food? Nothing you can do except to physically take it from them if they're within the usage/time of day parameters. The app pushes new settings to it instantly so no reason it can't suspend on demand.
- Child been really good today? You can't give them extra time unless you change the usage/time of day rules persistently, "disable alarms for today" in the app or "temporarily disable parental controls" on the Switch, which lasts for as long as it doesn't go to sleep (no "you can have an extra 30 mins" etc)
This stuff is pretty fundamental, but curiously absent.
Easy to use, does exactly what it should
Love the fact that you can control how long child gets to play also that it can be done on a daily basis, also that the restriction time has been extended, other gaming systems should take note. Even better now that Touch ID has been added, no more constantly changing passwords.
Fairly vital feature missing
It is pretty useless if you use one machine for multiple children, each with their own account. The way it is setup is great, but without the ability to set all the possible settings per account on the switch, it is pointless for a family with more then one child and “only” one nintendo switch.
- Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- 74.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.