Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Drag and Drop to move files, text, photos, GIFs, web pages, and more from other apps into Notability with Multitasking.
• Secure and lock your notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH WITH BEAUTIFUL INK
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect circles and straight lines.
• Ink is fine-tuned for 1st and 2nd generation Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes with the Note Switcher.
• Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, and more between notes.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Save time with keyboard shortcuts.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more, or share note content to other apps with Drag and Drop.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
*** Bug fixes in 8.4.3 ***
• Fixed issues with Excel file conversion
• Large scissors selection no longer cuts off the style popover
• Fixed rendering issues when dismissing the keyboard
• Stability improvements & other minor bug fixes
*** What’s new in 8.4 ***
• Sneak peek of what we’ve been working on - Notability introduces perfect circles! Like our straight line feature, draw a circle and hold for it to be auto-corrected. More to come in 2019!
• Improved pinch to zoom, allowing you to zoom out to see multiple pages at once or zoom in further for detailed work.
• Added more keyboard shortcuts, including to create a new note, go back to the Library, and easily navigate within a note.
• The word count of a note is now available in the information popover
Ratings and Reviews
Notability is an amazing app and I’ve been using it on my iPad for almost a year. Handwriting is smooth and nice(I switched off the pressure sensitivity), by the way im an engineering student. I like how the files are organised. But the most important feature that keeps me using notability is voice recording. The way it is done is just amazing!
It’s all good but lest face a few problems of natability that are actually annoying on a daily basis:
Notability doesn’t recognise geometric shaped and can’t make them look better as some other does that. To draw a nice square we have to go and press some Figure option which takes us to some new window etc... what I am saying that it is the ugliest way of drawing a nice circle on the market. Developers should definitely make it simpler and more intuitive and pleasant to use. Right now it is such a disappointment that I was so close to stop using notability and go on to another app.
Another things - highlighters. I don’t understand what the developers thought of when they designed them. Why are they like this? Why are they so transparent? Why do they mess up with the handwritten text? Why do highlighters of the same color overlap each other? It is utterly annoying.
In general, it is an amazing app but I hope the developers will listen to the app users and fix those issues as so many people are irritated of the highlighters and figure drawing tool.
Everything you need for note taking
I’ve been using this for while now and have found it to be the perfect note taking app for me. It does the basics extremely well. After all, you would expect a note making app to be excellent at being able to take notes right? The handwriting experience when using the zoom box feature in conjunction with a decent stylus is flawless in my opinion, and notes look and feel like you have hand written them on paper when you’ve done. A good selection of pens and paper and an effective system for managing your notes and notebooks, all synched with your cloud solution of choice, of course.
I showed this to my daughter when she started university and as well as now using it for all her lecture notes (sometimes with the recording feature), including annotation of PDF handouts, she has turned its use into an art form! Her notes, sketches, inserted diagrams and hand written formulas are beautiful to look at, and now form an effective part of learning.
This is a great app and would highly recommend it.
I’m the head of the project management department for a digital marketing company, and I’d actually struggle to do my job as effectively as I do without Notability.
It’s great being able to have groups and subgroups to organise notes by subjects, such as daily scrums, team 1:1s, issue escalation, project planning, etc., and being able to embed pictures from whiteboards means my life is a lot less cluttered.
2 years ago I’d go to every meeting with my Mac and each relevant paper notepad; however, my laptop rarely leaves my desk now, and I just bring the iPad and Apple Pencil, and I genuinely can’t remember the last time I used a paper notepad!
Having it backed up to the cloud is an awesome bonus too, so I can access notes from my Mac, iPhone - whichever device when I don’t have my iPad handy.
The handwriting recognition/search isn’t the best, but I have terrible handwriting, so... 🤷🏻♂️
One feature I’d really like to see, and then it would be perfect, would be to have 2 notes side-by-side. In my daily scrums I like to check my notes from the previous day’s meeting, and skipping backwards and forwards can get a bit tiresome, especially as the last edited note always takes the top spot in the category list.
Awesome app though! I can’t remember whether the app is free or not, but even if I did pay for it, it’s a great return on investment!
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 294.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Spring £1.99
- Winter £1.99
- Fall £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.