Onion Browser is the original free and open-source Tor-powered web browser for iOS. Onion Browser helps you access the internet with more safety and privacy, and no extra cost to you.
“The best Tor-related offering on iOS right now is Onion Browser” - The Daily Dot, October 14, 2015.
Featured in: The New York Times, The Guardian, Salon, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Daily Dot, & others.
• Browse the internet over Tor:
- Protect your privacy from website tracking
- Secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs
- Support for HTTPS Everywhere, an automatic switch to HTTPS enabled websites
- Access .onion sites that are only accessible over Tor.
• Fight online tracking: block scripts and automatically clear cookies and tabs, based on your preferences.
• And more privacy-enhancing features!
- Web browsing is much slower than through a normal web browser or a VPN because your traffic is encrypted and relayed through the Tor network.
- Multimedia often bypass Tor and compromise your privacy; video files and video streams are blocked by default and are not supported by Onion Browser.
- Onion Browser might not work on networks with advanced network restrictions. If the app does not connect, try using bridges (or a different type of bridge), force-quit, and then restart the app.
- Use of Onion Browser is at your own risk; remember that sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device.
** Onion Browser is free and open-source software. You can read more about Onion Browser and how to support development of Tor on iOS by visiting onionbrowser.com **
Tor has been updated to 0.3.3.5-rc. OpenSSL has been updated to 1.1.0g.
Onion Browser 2.1 has working translations in Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Japanese, Norwegian (Bokmål), Persian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, and Ukranian! The app will automatically use the system-wide preferred language, if it is available in Onion Browser.
Special thanks to all of our Transifex volunteers & everyone at Localization Lab for helping with this massive effort:
AboShanab, Al_Shahrior, anarchodin, anm, ariaa, arielbarbosa, arminoza, Atalanttore, balapandu222, benewfy, beonex1, biancahey, codesmite, CypherZnnb, drashti4, Ecron, emmapeel, feeblebiscuit, flaviove, Herenko, ifti, jpanonowl, jxtsai, kingu, kscanne, kwadronaut, Lafrenze, lyubomyr, mada19, Maria_Jose, Naofumi, nariman, nautilusx, pau.selles, pljmn, pluto987, s8321414, sabs, Selinaf, Selva_Makilan, SilverXp, Songbogong, sonusandeep, strel, sveinki, TokumeiNanashi, tsaizb, umkdikshit, vargaviktor, yahoe.001
Ratings and Reviews
I wanted to report these as bugs, but the ‘Report Bug’ function not working just so happens to be one of those bugs.
The other is that the instructions for disabling scripts tells you to go to ‘Default Settings’ in the Settings Menu. As you can even see in the above screenshots, there is no such thing.
What’s with all the bad reviews?
Onion Browser works very well for me and is a lot more reliable & faster than all the others I’ve tried. I’m on iOS 11.4.1 on iPad fully updated.
- Mike Tigas
- 79.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2012-2018 Tigas Ventures, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Small Onion Browser Tip £0.99
- Medium Onion Browser Tip £4.99
- Large Onion Browser Tip £9.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.