OPAL Bugs Count Pocket ID Guide
By Natural History Museum
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The OPAL Bugs Count Pocket ID Guide is a guide to common groups of invertebrates (bugs) found in the UK.
From shieldbugs and beetles to hoverflies and bumblebees, you’ll discover interesting facts, identification tips and stunning photographic images of bugs from London’s Natural History Museum.
You can also help scientists with valuable research into the changing environment by looking for the six Species Quest bugs.
• Guide - Find out about the bugs you see, and discover interesting facts and ID tips. What exactly is the difference between a grasshopper and a cricket?
• Quest - Help scientists at the Natural History Museum by finding, then taking and sending photos of the six important Species Quest bugs.
• Gallery - Explore stunning images of UK bugs photographed by the Natural History Museum.
The app can be used on its own or as part of the OPAL Bugs Count survey.
Opal Bugs Count is a nationwide survey investigating how the built environment affects invertebrates. By taking part, you will discover more about the enormous variety of bugs that live around us.
An incredible 96% of all known animals are bugs... without them the world would be a very different place.
OPAL, The Open Air Laboratories network, is a lottery-funded initiative to get more people interested in nature. The Natural History Museum is an OPAL partner.
What's New in Version 1.41
A very good app for adults and children. Helps you to identify bugs you might see, and the app also has a list of bugs that they want you to report, which you can do through the app. It has a guide and a good description of a number of insects and other bugs.
Nice introduction to groups, but very very limited with very few species in the guide. I can imagine children would get frustrated when unable to find most common species.
- Category: Education
- Updated: 09 May 2014
- Version: 1.41
- Size: 22.3 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Developer: Natural History Museum
- © OPAL 2011
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.