OpenSignal is the ultimate signal toolkit that shows you how to get a better network connection instantly, find nearby free Wifi hotspots worldwide, view signal maps so that you can compare performance of networks in your area and test the speed of your mobile or Wifi connection.
Unlike other apps, which look for maximum possible speed through optimized testing, OpenSignal informs you about your true speed - what you are likely to experience when normally using your phone. Anyone using the app contributes data, informing others about real-world, not estimated, mobile performance (and we'll never ask you for personal information, just your signal strength stats).
With OpenSignal you can map cellular coverage, find Wi-Fi hotspots, test and improve your reception & get faster data.
- Signal compass points you in the direction your signal is coming from
- Speed test for download, upload and latency
- Map of cell towers and Wifi hotspots
- Coverage maps allow you see the best/worst places for 2G, 3G and 4G
- Free and ad-free
Based on our community-generated data we are able to help keep you better connected by giving you a practical solution to the problems of slow mobile internet. Simply follow our signal compass to walk towards better phone signal or see our in-app copoverage maps to work out which carrier is best for where you are, useful if you're thinking about switching networks. Our wifi maps help you find local public-access wireless networks (Wifi hotspots).
Maps are not updated in real-time. Don’t worry though, we log the information you share with us to improve our coverage maps and performance information. We’re working hard to make sure the data you contribute to the project is available to everyone as quickly as possible.
- Not all towers and wireless hotspots are in our database - we’re working on it!
- Moving in the direction of your cell tower (the signal compass) will not always improve reception due to interference effects/local geography
- Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
If you read to here (!) you should really join the OpenSignal beta to help us improve the app, just email email@example.com if you're interested.
We've added a dialog for all users (new and existing), to make it clearer how we use your data and ask for your consent for this.
Ratings and Reviews
Good but needs improvement
Great concept and potentially very useful when choosing what mobile network to go with. However, the filter by operator is sporadic, showing only some operators in the list - it seems related to zoom level even though all are available in the currently shown area. Secondly, why is there a limit to the zoom level. All data disappears once you go further in. I’m not expecting it to be detailed or trusted to the sq meter but it needs to allow you to go deeper that it currently does. I never saw the previous version with cell tower details but I support that being brought back if it’s possible.
Some functions not working
I STILL DON’T GET AN ARROW FOR “FIND SIGNAL”, NOR ANY DATA IN THE “CELL TOWERS” LIST 😡
More detail needed!
Overall generally really good, but an old version ages ago used to pin-point the exact tower your phone was connected to on the map (i.e. your phone and tower position were identified and a line shown between the two), which was really useful!! Please bring back this feature.
- OpenSignal Inc.
- 21.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2017 OpenSignal, Inc
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.