By Ordnance Survey
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Whether you’re walking, cycling, or enjoying family time, OS maps puts Great Britain’s most detailed leisure mapping at your fingertips. Simple to use and feature rich, it’s invaluable for enjoying the outdoors.
DOWNLOAD FOR FREE
• Get standard, greenspace and aerial mapping of Great Britain all for free
• If you’ve purchased an OS Explorer or Landranger map, use the app to download a digital version using the unique code on the inside of your map.
UNLOCK MORE WITH PREMIUM
• OS Explorer 1: 25,000 and OS Landranger 1:50,000 maps: subscribe to unlock the detail and accuracy of our paper leisure maps across the whole country
• All our maps on all of your devices: View, create and sync your activities between desktop and mobile. On desktop, use our 3D Aerial Layer to plan your route terrain or just explore in stunning 3D
• Record and follow routes: Plot a route to follow or share – or record your route while you’re out and about.
• Explore National Park trails: Use OS Maps as your off-road satnav with automatic ‘snap-to-path’ giving you the most enjoyable and safe route between two points in National parks.
• Offline maps: Download your favourite areas to view offline – so you can view any part of GB even without a mobile signal.
• Augmented Reality: Our new AR feature means you can pan the landscape to see what’s nearby including hills and mountains, forest and woodland, transport, settlements, coast and water. And, with one click, find local area information with routes, places to stay and local images
• Export Routes: export your favourites routes to your GPX device
Battery life can be dramatically decreased by using GPS constantly.
We release updates to all of our apps as we improve them, making them even more stable and adding extra features. Along the way, your feedback and comments about those apps are really important to us. If there’s something you’d like us to know, please tell us via Twitter @OSLeisure, by phone on 03454 56 04 20, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 1.12.0
Addition of the OS Maps Augmented Reality mode: helping you see beyond the edge of the map by showing features in the surrounding area. OS Maps Augmented Reality includes over 200,000 features in five categories: Coast and Water, Hills, Settlements, Transport and Woodland.
The new augmented reality is useful
Great that you can get access to all your routes (and so many others) tried it today and the follow a route feature is amazingly accurate. Just the sort of quality you'd expect from ordnance survey. Love the download maps for offline use feature too really handy for exploring in remote areas. Just make sure you download before you set off... The off road routing is good just wish it was everywhere...
Augmented reality is useful, my own portable brass plaque! But when will we get 3D on the app. It’s great on the website but would be good to see on mobile too?
Dire quality maps. Response to developer.
Reply to developer. I am aware of the zoom features and it only makes matters worse !! The fact is that the resolution of maps on the maps app is poorer than on Mapfinder. It's like HD verses non HD. all lines are thicker on the OS Maps app than the Mapfinder app. Zooming makes the lines look fuzzy, this is not the case on Mapfinder.
Original review - Firstly I am using the latest and fastest iPad. Compared to MapFinder the quality of maps in this app is very poor. I am a field geologist and need the highest resolution possible, I have to use the Mapfinder app all the time, as you cannot zoom in on these maps and the detail at the highest resolution is blurred. I am aware of software developer issues but this really needs to be improved upon. App downloads also commonly fail. Just not good enough
App struggles to show downloaded maps offline. A known issue according to the OS website if you have “a large area of downloaded mapping”. Since large doesn’t seem to be very large for my 6S and having downloaded maps is kind of the point, this becomes more of a novelty than anything useful.
Having used this for a couple of weeks now I’ve upgraded my rating from 2 to 4 stars. I’ll admit it’s almost there. If you do only download the map area you need offline, it works a treat. Would still be the perfect mapping app if only it could cope with more offline downloads.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 03 October 2017
- Version: 1.12.0
- Size: 105 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Ordnance Survey
- © 2017 Ordnance Survey Leisure
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- 1 month subscription£4.99
- 1 year subscription£25.99