Outside Maps is an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application that enables you to view and navigate a wide variety of mapping data using an easy-to-use touch interface.
Outside Maps supports Ordnance Survey mapping for Great Britain at various scales including 1:50000.
Outside Maps supports WORLDWIDE coverage for OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap and the Stamen and Thunderforest map sources.
Outside Maps supports historic 1" Ordnance Survey mapping from 1880-1990 and 1921-1947 courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Outside Maps supports shaded terrain data for the UK only derived from Ordnance Survey OS Terrain 50.
Outside Maps includes ESRI aerial photography courtesy of ESRI.
Outside Maps includes the following features:
- Intuitive "slippy maps" interface
- Native iPad support in both portrait and landscape modes
- Current Ordnance Survey mapping including 1:50000 scale is available
- OpenStreetMap and derived data is supported at all available resolutions
- Historic 1" Ordnance Survey data from 1880-1990 and 1921-1947
- OpenCycleMap support
- Thunderforest "Landscape" and "Transport" mapping support
- Stamen mapping support
- ESRI aerial imagery
- Hill-shading mapping for the UK
- Full Ordnance Survey OSTN02 adjustments for highest accuracy (+/- 1m accuracy)
- Real-time position tracking via GPS (or WiFi-based positioning)
- Compass and bearing (either using GPS and movement tracking or hardware compass if available)
- "Lookahead" feature when moving at > 5mph
- Waypoints functionality including import and export via GPX format
- OS OpenSpace-driven postcode and placename lookup (online only)
- Grid reference and latitude/longitude lookup (offline)
- what3words support (online only)
- 1880-1900 1" Ordnance Survey mapping courtesy of the National Library of Scotland
- ESRI aerial photography layer
Ratings and Reviews
Back, and even better
For me, the best part of this app is the availability of historical Ordnance Survey 1 inch to 1 mile maps. An earlier version lost these, for Scotland at least, and the quality in England became much worse. But the latest version had them back, covering both 1921-47 and 1885-1900. A wonderful resource to have at your fingertips!
Update 2: working again in iOS 11 woo. Only way to display historical maps easily!! UPDATE: yay! Working in iOS 8 woo!! Thank!you
Argh! 👺 no worky with iOS 8 😿. Again another disused railway fanatic here used the historical maps all the time.
Brilliant so glad this app is back I've used this many a time in the past and it's fantastic. Hopefully it's here to stay this time.... nice one 👍🏽
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.