A powerful yet simple podcast player, with Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smart Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to shrink silences and pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- 3D Touch support
- Rich notifications
- Apple Watch app with standalone podcast playback
- CarPlay support
Overcast is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for Overcast Premium is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
Dramatically improves the reliability of Watch transfers.
Ratings and Reviews
Listen to your favourite podcasts when you're out and about.
I'm sorry to say my hopes are dashed. The Apple Watch addition just doesn't work. I've tried auto sync and manual but it just won't consistently send my podcasts to my watch to play without my phone. I'm so disappointed. This is still easily a 5 star app but the Watch feature is no good at the moment. I'll keep hoping. App is brilliant- watch is not.
5.0 Update- YES! Apple Watch support!! No need for my phone to listen now, using my watch as a standalone podcast player will be amazing- I say 'will be' because I'm having issues actually transferring the podcast to my watch. With the 5.0.1 update I have managed to transfer about 5 shows but it's a little inconsistent still and I can't leave it overnight to sync. Having said this, the app is getting better and better over the 2-3 years I have been using it so I'm impressed with the improvements that are ongoing.
----I have used many, MANY different podcast apps over the years- then I found Overcast. Simple and powerful with a free (unintrusive ad supported) or paid version which is well priced but doesn't offer much benefit. Don't bother searching for other podcast apps. Just use this one- trust me!
4.0 Has Redeemed This App
I was very negative towards this app because there were many little accessibility and usability issues. Thankfully, many of them are now fixed and I can say that it is a good app once again.
I do have one request though, the ability to delete multiple episodes from within a playlist. I had to manually remove over 200 episodes when I installed 4.0 and that wasn't fun at all. Other players have a "Mark All As Played" option within there UI, surprising Overcast doesn't have it. My issues with colons being spoken seems to have gone away - not sure if that's an issue with the voice I use and it was resolved in iOS 11 but it works as expected now.
It's a good player and small in footprint so I think it's an improvement
- Overcast Radio, LLC
- 13.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014–2018 Overcast Radio, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium £8.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.