Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
By Oxford University Press
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
IMPORTANT: This free download will give you 100 sample entries from the dictionary. Make an in-app purchase to activate the full dictionary.
Over 100 million English language learners use Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) to develop their English skills for work and study.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download all 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• export your Favourite lists and History list
What's New in Version 2.0.2
Please read - important news about this update!
The new OALD app gives you 100 free sample entries from the NEW OALD 9th edition, PLUS the option to download the full OALD 9th edition.
The OALD 9th edition includes NEW words, NEW usage notes, NEW features, and a NEW design.
You can keep using the OALD 8th edition if you prefer - just re-download it from the in-app Catalogue tab. Your OALD8 Favourites will be preserved, or can be transferred to the new OALD 9th edition if you choose to upgrade.
Version 2.0.2 will check that your device has enough space for the OALD download and should help users who have been having problems with downloading the OALD 9th edition.
Thank you to all our users for your patience while we fix bugs and issues with re-downloading OALD8 and upgrading to OALD9. If you continue to experience any problems, please email us at email@example.com and we will do our best to help you.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 24 November 2015
- Version: 2.0.2
- Size: 53.8 MB
- Languages: English, Russian
- Developer: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2015 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th editionFree
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 9th edition£22.99
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 9th edition£4.49
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 9th editionFree