100 SAMPLE ENTRIES ONLY. This free download gives you 100 sample entries from the new OALD 9th edition. You will not be able to cross-refer from these entries to other words that are in the full dictionary. To have access to the full dictionary with all features you will need to buy it via in-app purchase. *All existing users of the OALD8 app can also re-download OALD8 from the Catalogue tab to continue using it for free.*
Over 100 million English language learners have used Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) to develop their English skills for work and study.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download over 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• Create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• Export your Favourite lists and History list
OALD9 is compatible with Apple Watch – you can look up words, open entries, listen to headword audio, and there is a Word of the Day feature. Please note that you need to have the full OALD9 dictionary installed.
Please re-download your dictionary if you are asked to.
OALD8: Apologies to users who have been unable to update OALD8 – you should now be able to do so.
OALD9: We have fixed the bug with the Idioms and Phrasal Verbs buttons. Apologies to users who have had issues with restoring, downloading or updating OALD9 – you should no longer experience these problems.
The app will now fit on your iPhone X screens, and your Favourites will be preserved when you update.
Ratings and Reviews
There is an option to sync the favourites between devices but it is not working at all and I lost all my favourite after changing my phone. Also fix this issue pls, when you save a word into favourite and search that word to see what it means you never know if it is already saved in the favourites or not. There is no sign or indication to tell you that.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your updated review. As you have noted, the ‘Sync with iCloud’ feature is not working correctly in the latest version of the app. Our developers have been made aware of this issue and will address it in the next update to the app. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your patience.
Not able to restore
I purchased this app on my old phone, now i have a new phone, but the app won’t allow me to restore my purchase and ask me to pay for another £30!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you have had trouble restoring your dictionary. Please see this FAQ for some tips on how to resolve this issue: https://oxfordeltdictionaries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/114094172112-I-have-already-paid-to-upgrade-to-OALD9-but-I-am-being-asked-to-pay-again-to-reinstall-it-or-to-install-it-on-my-other-devices-. If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact us via the email link in the app.
The app doesn’t want to download into my iPhone 6s plus after the latest update, before it’s been perfect, very disappointed !
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you have had trouble downloading your dictionary. Please see this FAQ for some tips on how to resolve this issue: https://oxfordeltdictionaries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/114094172092-I-cannot-download-the-dictionaries-the-downloads-freeze-or-won-t-start-and-or-I-am-receiving-error-messages-. If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact us via the email link in the app.
- Oxford University Press ELT
- 97.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Russian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Oxford University Press
- In-App Purchases
- Re-download purchased OALD8 Free
- OALD9 full price £30.99
- OALD9 discounted upgrade £22.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.