Oxford Dictionary of English plus Audio
By Mobile Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The leading single-volume English dictionary, the Oxford Dictionary of English is the foremost authority on current English usage.
• Offers the most comprehensive coverage of English from around the world
• Completely revised and updated to include the very latest vocabulary, with over 350,000 words, phrases, and meanings
• Thousands of words and senses derived from the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus, giving the most complete and accurate picture of the English language today
• About 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, doubled with both British & American voice versions, including words with controversial pronunciation or with variant pronunciations
This edition includes thousands of brand-new words and senses, as well as up-to-date encyclopedic information.
Readership: Ideal for anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English; for professionals, students, academics, and for use at work or at home.
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type
• A 'fuzzy filter' when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words
• A wild card search function (*) which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word
A LEARNING TOOL
Including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words
• Discover more about language with the special language notes
• See words in context with example sentences
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
What's New in Version 6.2
* Word list added
* Bugs fixed
Improving problematic app but audio useful.
Oflline audio guide is good although fairly low-quality recordings with some muffled sound.
With iOS8 upon us, this app looks incredibly dated -now improved (I've added one more star).
By default the search box shows a(1) meaning you have to delete that text to empty the search field first everytime - now finally removed, mind this took months and months just to remove one tiny thing that made the app cumbersome.
The favourites section could be beefed up with alphabetical sort options, perhaps some review and test opion, and most usefully: a full-screen table view of word favourites not just one single narrow column.
Got rid of the side column which is a terrible idea. Here's why: if I type a prefix the column showed a list of possible words and I may want to read several definitions. By removing the column it forces you to lose your 'place in the book.' It is the same if you press the wrong word, you cannot then correct yourself but have to go back. Far better would be the user-option to open and close the side column at will.
The favourited words are now out of sync with definitions! My 'pariah' now shows definition for 'ariah dog', 'teratology' shows defn for 'teratoma', 'parsimony' shows 'parsley', 'segue' shows 'Sedgwick, Adam', etc. Hundreds of fav words are now all out of sync!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 06 January 2015
- Version: 6.2
- Size: 147 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: Mobile Systems
- © 2013 MobiSystems, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.