Oxford Dictionary of English
By MobiSystems, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH FREE BETTER THAN ALL OTHER DICTIONARIES?
* NEW! Stay up-to-date with the very latest words and expressions, brought to you by the most recent 2017 database update by the Oxford University Press.
* The most comprehensive coverage of English from around the world.
* The very latest vocabulary, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
* Thousands of words and sentences derived from the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus.
* About 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including words with controversial or variant pronunciations.
* With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right into the intricacies of English faster and easier than ever!
* Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate– A speech recognition and text-to-speech app separate from this dictionary, which you can download for Free from the App Store. Whether you’re travelling or simply want to optimize your study of English, the great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you.
The current edition includes thousands of additional words and sentences, brought to you by the most recent 2017 database update by the Oxford University Press, as well as up-to-date encyclopedic information. Ideal for anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English; for professionals, students, academics, and for use at work or at home.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search automatically searches for words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 10.0.5
* Audio optimizations - smaller audio files size, smaller app size, same quality
* Bug fixes and performance improvements
Improving problematic app but audio useful.
Oflline audio guide is good although fairly low-quality recordings with some muffled sound.
With iOS8 upon us, this app looks incredibly dated -now improved (I've added one more star).
By default the search box shows a(1) meaning you have to delete that text to empty the search field first everytime - now finally removed, mind this took months and months just to remove one tiny thing that made the app cumbersome.
The favourites section could be beefed up with alphabetical sort options, perhaps some review and test opion, and most usefully: a full-screen table view of word favourites not just one single narrow column.
Got rid of the side column which is a terrible idea. Here's why: if I type a prefix the column showed a list of possible words and I may want to read several definitions. By removing the column it forces you to lose your 'place in the book.' It is the same if you press the wrong word, you cannot then correct yourself but have to go back. Far better would be the user-option to open and close the side column at will.
The favourited words are now out of sync with definitions! My 'pariah' now shows definition for 'ariah dog', 'teratology' shows defn for 'teratoma', 'parsimony' shows 'parsley', 'segue' shows 'Sedgwick, Adam', etc. Hundreds of fav words are now all out of sync!
Nag, nag, nag, rate me, rate me, rate me pop-ups the app...correspondingly I’ve knocked a few stars off.
I have used for Study, Work and for saving personal documents it had helped me saving money and worry free.
This application with an Office Suite has greatest use benefit for beginners and Students. The biggest savings you will get on an Ipad-Pro in making One time purchase only. It means that Microsoft do not have power to excuse subscription and steal money from individuals resisting uncertainties, just because you want to use Apple device for experience Virus free work.
Does what it says on the tin- with some annoyances
The recent update is a disappointment- the bleached pastel blue display is not pleasant to work with. The word of the day remains picked by some random algorithm, and most annoyingly the platform design is finicky and not as easy to navigate as it should be.
All the same, this is a decent version of the OED, the best dictionary out there for English, and this is probably the reason why you should purchase this dictionary app instead of others.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 22 November 2017
- Version: 10.0.5
- Size: 225 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2017 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.