Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
By MobiSystems, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Oxford Hachette French Dictionary is acclaimed by language professionals the world over as the most complete and up-to-date dictionary of its kind. Based on the statistical evidence of real language, both written and spoken, it's the most comprehensive, reliable, and up-to-date dictionary of French and English available today.
This latest version has even better coverage of the language, with improved treatment of acronyms and EU terminology, as well as thousands of new words in both English and French.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 8.2.5
* Optimised for iOS 10!
* New camera search feature looks up words in your camera's viewfinder
* Integrated audio pronunciations for both English and French
* Bug fixes and performance improvements
Fantastic. Latest update fixes delay in search results.
This app is first rate. (as is the Oxford German dictionary, which I also use) Although rather expensive these days it is comprehensive, with a clean, user-friendly interface.
No more finger-drumming while the search function scratches its belly-button - the latest update has made the dictionary a pleasure to use again.
Now that the new search function is speedy it has a great deal to recommend it. Searching for past participles leads you to infinitives in almost every case.
Be aware that the audio is generated via text-to-speech software, and not using recordings of human speech. All for the best, perhaps, given the size of the dictionary.
Presently the dictionary lacks functionality that would allow you to browse freely. If I want to view entries in the vicinity of 'chatouilleux,' I can enter 'chat' as a search term and browse related entries, although only terms beginning with this phrase will be displayed. I find this an effective way of doing things, but not everyone will agree.
Oxford French Dictionary
Fantastic app, couldn't do without it and so much better than an online translator. It has example sentences so you can see how the word is used.
Great modern dictionary with pronunciation
Ideal resource for beginners and intermediate language learners. I used it for first and second year of university. The pronunciation facility is very useful too.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 17 September 2016
- Version: 8.2.5
- Size: 73.3 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2016 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.