Oxford German Dictionary, 3rd Edition
By MobiSystems, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Oxford German Dictionary provides authoritative coverage of German and English with over 320,000 words and phrases, alongside 520,000 translations. Essential grammatical information and language usage notes are provided for both languages.
It provides comprehensive guidance on pronunciation, vowel length, and syllable stress, as well as clear distinctions between pre-reform spellings alongside new preferred forms. There are invaluable cultural notes to learn more about life in German- and English-speaking countries - essential tools for language professionals and students at all levels.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality mobile language apps from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 8.2.2
* Optimised for iOS 10!
* New camera search feature looks up words in your camera's viewfinder
* Integrated audio pronunciations for both English and German
* Bug fixes and performance improvements
Fantastic. Latest update fixes delay in search results.
In my view the best iOS German dictionary out there. Comprehensive, with a clean, user-friendly interface.
No more finger-drumming while the search function scratches its belly-button - the latest update has made the dictionary a pleasure to use again.
Now that the new search function is speedy, it has a lot to recommend it. Searching for past participles leads you to infinitives in almost every case. Searching for a noun or adjective will usually yield the result you want, whether or not you enter it in the nominative case.
Be aware that the audio is text-to-speech synthesis, not recordings of human speech. All for the best, perhaps, give the size of the dictionary.
At present the dictionary lacks functionality that would allow you to browse freely. If I want to view entries in the vicinity of 'sagenhaft,' I can enter 'sage' as a search term and browse related entries, although only terms beginning with this phrase will be displayed. I find this an effective way of doing things, but not everyone will agree.
Good app spoiled by incessant demand for 5 star review. I paid for pity's sake
Having paid more than for any other app I have bought, I resent being badgered each time I open the dictionary for a 5 star review. I am therefore giving the dictionary a low review for the selfish pushiness of its marketing team. I have begun to hate opening the thing. I owe the makers of the dictionary nothing - I paid a hefty fee, so let me use the thing in peace, you ungrateful wretches
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 17 September 2016
- Version: 8.2.2
- Size: 82.1 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2016 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.