Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary
By MobiSystems, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary is the most complete and up-to-date Italian dictionary available, with greater bilingual coverage than ever before. The dictionary covers over 300,000 words and phrases, 450,000 translations, and captures idiomatic, colloquial, spoken, and written language in both Italian and English.
By incorporating phrasefinders and cultural information, the dictionary serves both as an authoritative work of reference and as a dynamic passport of both cultures. You'll find quick-reference verb tables, grammar notes and vocabulary lists including specialized EU terminology, as well as lively and interesting cultural notes give an insight into life in Italy.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality mobile language apps from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 8.2.2
* Optimised for iOS 10!
* New camera search feature looks up words in your camera's viewfinder
* Integrated audio pronunciations for both English and Italian
* Bug fixes and performance improvements
This dictionary could, with a bit of thought, be so much better. You cannot list Favourites items alphabetically. Instead of listing different entries of a word as (1), (2), (3) etc, it would be much more helpful to show the word class as, for instance, (n), (v), (a). There are some serious omissions: the latest I have come across is the omission of "disgusting". Verb conjugations are poorly set out typographically. But the worst flaw is the constant bombardment of requests for a five star review, even though I have already reviewed it, as here. Steer well clear of the Oxford Paravia. Buy the Collins equivalent instead, a much more polished product without the desperate and intrusive requests.
In general, I find this app to be excellent. Very rarely do I fail to find a word. It frequently gives different uses of a word in various phrases and it is interesting to see how that can give a different meaning. I would agree that the pop up in the current version requesting a five star review is irritating but hopefully that will go in the next revision.
Very good app
I've been using this app for a couple of years. It saves carrying around a dictionary and I find the sentence examples and idioms really useful. Great app and a 'must have' for all those who wish to learn Italian. Works off-line too.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 17 September 2016
- Version: 8.2.2
- Size: 84.7 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2016 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.