Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The best digital handwriting on iPad. Penultimate combines distraction-free, natural handwriting and sketching with the power of Evernote’s sync and search. Take class or meeting notes, journal your thoughts, or outline your next big idea—in the office or on the go. From the first stroke, Penultimate makes the experience of pen and paper more productive.
INK AND PAPER, MADE BETTER
Notes and drawings look spectacular in black or colored ink. Our inking technology produces pen strokes that look natural, and Wrist Protection prevents stray marks for writers of all grips. Choose from a number of paper styles, or import an image to create personalized paper.
STYLUS AND SOFTWARE BUILT TOGETHER
We worked closely with Adonit to create the stylus we've always wanted: the Jot Script Evernote Edition, the first true precision-point stylus. Penultimate integrates tightly with the stylus and together they make digital handwriting the experience it should be. It’s like writing with your favorite pen. Available now in the Evernote Market.
YOUR WRITING KEEPS PACE WITH YOU
Penultimate lets you work on any part of the page effortlessly. To zoom in on a location on the page, simply pinch in and start writing. With Penultimate's Drift feature enabled, the page will move along with you, automatically adjusting to the pace you are working at.
CONNECT AND SYNC WITH EVERNOTE
Sign in to your Evernote account in the Penultimate app to organize your Penultimate notes in notebooks, separated by topic, project, or category. Your Penultimate notes are synced to Evernote automatically, so you can find and share them across all of your devices.
FIND WHAT YOU NEED QUICKLY
No matter how you prefer to organize your work, Penultimate makes it easy to find the notes you need. Penultimate processes your notes so you can search for handwritten text in the app. Save and browse your work in notebooks and insert, delete, duplicate, and reorganize pages any way you like within them.
GET MORE WITH PREMIUM
Penultimate is free to download and use. Evernote Premium adds great features across all of the Evernote applications. In Penultimate, Passcode Lock and unlimited Paper Shop access are included. Premium is available through an auto-renewing subscription.
Two subscription options:
- Evernote Premium monthly for $5
- Evernote Premium annually for $45
Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel a subscription during the active period. Manage your subscriptions in the Account Settings after purchase.
What's New in Version 6.0.3
- Substantial Jot Script stylus writing improvements: stylus responsiveness, dropped strokes, palm rejection, and offset improvements with an updated Adonit SDK
- Zoom box navigation (two-finger swipe)
- Corner handles for easier image resizing
- Updated default note title
- Numerous performance improvements and bug fixes
Don't write Penultimate off
So, the original v6 upgrade of Penultimate was one of the worst 'updates' I have ever experienced. Having loved the old version of Penultimate and used it for pretty much all my note taking for months I couldn't believe how bad it was, particularly in terms of stability, meaning I could no longer use it. However, the last few updates have seen improvements and I have now gone two weeks without a crash and find the functionality suits a 'leftie' like me. I tried other apps but for me Penultimate, even it its current guise, is by far the best. I think some of the more recent reviews are way too harsh. The old look and feel of Penultimate has gone. An app should not be rated based on what is done, it should be rated (largely) on how it is now. At this point it is in my opinion the best handwriting note app out there. I just give 4 rather than 5 stars as two weeks of use of this latest version isn't long enough to warrant more. I suggest you give it a try, particularly if you were not tainted by events of recent months.
Bring back the previous version
I was quite happy with the old version and loved the way I could use it like a paged notebook, also the use of tools was easy and intuitive. I've had that version updated automatically by my iPAD and came to use it today.... Where the heck are my old notebooks?
Also I spent a relative fortune on an Adonit Jot Script stylus and it isn't working at all well with this new version.... Won't allow smooth writing, misses letters when I try to write in Capitals, pen Tip is about 2 or 3 mm away from the "precise 0.9mm" tip if my stylus meaning accuracy is very difficult. The palm rejection isn't working too well with undeleteable scribbles where I rest my wrist.
Not a happy bunny...
New version crashes and loses notes, very disappointing
Penultimate WAS my top notetaking app. I'm a professional note-taker and loved the simple and intuitive format of the original version - lots of moleskine-style notebooks, easy to order alphabetically and send whole notebooks or just some pages as a PDF via email; plus a simple stretch and go scrolling enlargement for seamless writing.
The latest version? I can put up with the changes which are not to my personal taste, but please fix the following:
- app crashes in magnification view after a few minutes, losing all the writing done
- can't find a way to reorder notes alphabetically
- can't find a way to select and send selected pages without going to Evernote, which only works when on wifi . Therefore delaying workflow, since I can't set up email drafts with notes attached.
- in magnification view (which I dislike now that there is a new format )the Return tab no longer tracks where you are on the page.
I've switched to Noteshelf! I'll return if the glitches can be fixed.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 10 February 2015
- Version: 6.0.3
- Size: 17.7 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Developer: Cocoa Box Design LLC
- © 2006 - 2015 Evernote Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Time & Tasks Paper Collection£0.79
- Design Collection£0.79
- Games Paper Collection£0.79
- Evernote Premium£3.99
- Music Paper Collection£2.29
- Photo Album Paper Collection£0.79
- Young Writers Paper Collection£0.79
- Evernote Premium£34.99
- Chinese New Year 2014Free