Phonetics Showdown HD
By Cambridge English Online Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Are you ready for some quick-fire PHONETICS & PRONUNCIATION practice? Phonetic Creek is holding its biggest-ever Phonetics Showdown and you’re invited. Take on Sid ‘Symbols’ Spade and your friends, family or teacher in this Wild West pronunciation dual! This quick-on-the draw’ game TEACHES and TESTS you on pronunciation and phonetics with OVER 600 QUESTIONS. Test your knowledge of the SOUNDS of ENGLISH and your REACTION SPEED in this cowboy-style shoot-out. They only shoot tomatoes though!
***Don't miss the great value, discounted 'English Pronunciation & Phonetics Pack' app bundle!
++Check out the free Phonetics Focus Zone on the web:
++Check out the free 30-idiom English Idioms Interactive web version here (Flash required): http://bit.ly/1zdssS4
2 FUN GAMES to enjoy:
1 PLAYER GAME
Can you take on 'Sid ‘Symbols’ Spade, one of the fastest phonetic spellers in town? You’ll be playing for our local hero, Bart ‘The Chart’ Hart.
Watch the questions... look at the real spelling + phonetic spelling. Which sound/phonemic symbol is missing from the phonetic spelling? Choose your answer to shoot your tomato gun. If you are correct, then you’ll give Sid a faceful of tomato. If you are wrong, it’ll be you that’s tasting the tomato. You only have 10 seconds to answer before Tex shoots (he’s a bit of a cheat!). You can hear the WORDS and SOUNDS spoken in high quality native speaker AUDIO. There’s also a PHONEMIC CHART to help you too.
Each round has 10 questions and each correct answer wins you a star. Get 8 stars to beat Sid and make your own cool Phonetic Creek Sheriff’s POSTER to share with your friends and family. If you get hit three times, it’s game over.
2 PLAYER GAME
Take on your friends or students in this 2 player, quick draw phonetics/pronunciation game? Choose the cowboy you each want to play for. Will you be Dan ‘Minimal Pair’ Dunn, or Bart ‘The Chart’ Hart? If you answer correctly, you’ll give your opponent faceful of tomato. It’s the best of 5 questions to win. It’s not just about your knowledge of phonetics and pronunciation , it’s about your reaction time too.
MAKE YOUR OWN PHONETICS SHERIFF POSTER!
Each question you get right earns you a star on your Phonetic Creek Sheriff’s poster. If you beat Sid, you’ll be able to add your photo or choose one of our cowboy/cowgirl characters. Add your name, cowboy hats, beards. moustaches and stars to your photo, and make it look old fashioned with our 4 photo effects. Then, share your success with your friends and family.
INTERACTIVE PHONEMIC CHART
Your own interactive phonemic chart with all the 44 symbols and sounds of British English is just a tap away. There 100+ words that highlight the sound in an initial, medial or final position.
- 1 and 2 Player versions – great for playing alone or with friends, classmates or students
- 600 + questions to test your pronunciation/phonetics
- Review and practise your answers after you play
- Interactive Phonemic Chart with over 100 words
- Make & share your own cool Wild West-style Sheriff’s poster with friends, family or classmates
- Great for ‘in classroom’ teaching/competitions for this hard to teach area of English
WHO IS PHONETICS SHOWDOWN FOR?
- If you are an English language learner, of any age and from any country, it gives you new, exciting ways to learn, practise and improve pronunciation.
- If you are a language teacher looking for fun, stimulating, high-quality pronunciation/phonetics resources to help your students, this is for you.
- If you are a trainee teacher studying towards your CELTA, wanting to master the sounds of English, this is for you.
DIFFERENT LEARNERS… DIFFERENT PROBLEMS
We’ve tried to include many of the commonly mispronounced sounds to help you avoid and CORRECT them, no matter what your first language is.
*This is the perfect partner for our Phonetics Focus apps!*
*Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions.
- Category: Education
- Released: 04 March 2014
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 56.9 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Cambridge English Online Ltd
- © Cambridge English Online Ltd. 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.