By Pixelmator Team
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions amazingly simple. Once your images are ready, access them anywhere with iCloud, send them to iPhoto or Aperture, email, print, share, or save them to popular image formats–all right from Pixelmator.
And, the new Pixelmator 3.3 is redesigned to cohere with OS X Yosemite’s fresh and modern look, brings new OS X Continuity features, like Handoff and iCloud Drive support, and works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iPad.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to portions of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or re-arrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Get rid of the red eye effect with just one click
• Distort or transform to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look.
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Over 160 different breathtaking effects you can play with
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
• See stunning results in real-time
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Designed with friendly interface features for intuitive ease of use
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer styles presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer styles presets
• Applying any of the layer styles presets is as simple as drag and drop
• Send your images directly to iPhoto or Aperture
• Open and save images using PSD, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly take your work to all your Macs
• You can completely skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Publish your images to social applications like Flickr, Twitter, and Facebook
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a number of OS X features and technologies like Cocoa, OpenGL, OpenCL, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the Macbook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
What's New in Version 3.3.1
• Pinch to zoom support
• Resize and scroll features added to Shapes, Gradients, and Styles palettes.
Fixes and improvements
• The horizontal scrollbar is now properly visible, as is the document’s bottom side.
• The Info bar now displays X and Y coordinates properly.
• Fixed an issue where Control-clicking the canvas doesn’t bring up the shortcut menu.
• Double-clicking the title bar now minimizes the app when “Double-click a window’s title bar to minimize” is selected in System Preferences.
• Changing palettes’ size is now way faster and more responsive.
• The Zoom Tool’s slider is now more responsive.
• Pixelmator folder didn’t always appear on iCloud Drive. We’ve fixed it.
• No more memory leaks with Magic Wand and Paint Bucket, which means they work faster now.
• Fixed effects’ rope glitches while moving the rope handle.
• Clicking the Close All option no longer corrupts the palettes.
Stability and reliability
Fixes related to stability and reliability, including issues that could cause Pixelmator to quit unexpectedly or hang in these situations:
• When using Pixelmator actions in Automator. Also, we’ve improved the Fit Images action output quality.
• When exporting image to JPEG and PNG file formats.
• When exporting slices.
• When copying or pasting grouped layers with other than an sRGB color profile.
Some more exciting news! An awesomely delicious newsletter is getting ready for show. If you want to join the news list, subscribe here: pixelmator.com/newsletter.
Want to share some feedback, need help, or want to give us some praise? Email us at email@example.com or give a shout out to @pixelmator.
Outstanding Value For Money
I took a chance based on the reviews and it’s exceeded my expectations. For several years I’ve used Aperture and Elements, but Aperture is to be replaced with the unknown Photos, and Elements upgrades are expensive. I trialled Lightroom and liked it but the standalone cost is prohibitive and I don’t like the subscription model, so enter Pixelmator. At this price, I’m astonished at the power and flexibility coupled with ease of use. It does everything I need it to do, certainly everything I’ve used in Aperture or Elements. Some functions are easier than in other software, some less easy. For example, I love the magic eraser tool which for me seems easier and more accurate than similar equivalents, and the repair tool for spot healing or object removal is excellent. On the other hand, lens distortions like keynote can be corrected, but only manually - it doesn’t provide the nice automated process you find in Lightroom (that said, I prefer manual corrections anyway). In every respect, this superb app is outstanding value for money. It has a basic browser facility, but purchasers need to be aware that it's purely an editing app with no functionality for storage management (for my needs, I am hoping that Photos will emulate Aperture in that respect). No app is ever perfect but this one easily merits five stars, so why pay more?
Great app but room to improve
We bought our mac mini in december last year (2014) and so are very new to the mac and needed something to edit photos and for other creative uses. I was glad to have found this on the app store but instead of buying it straightaway i went to the pixelmator web site where you will be able to download a free thirty day trial version of the software which will give you a chance to try it out first. You will find pixelmator easy to learn as much of it is intuitive and if you have used similar software before then you will recognise many of the features. You can do all the usual things such as crop, blend, distort, get rid of redeye plus many more creative tools. This is a good alternative to adobe and is much easier on your pocket. The only reason why i haven’t given it five stars is because of the use of black as a background when using the tools, it causes a little eye strain and is even worse for those using small portable screens. Aside from this issue which i have found one other review saying a similar thing, i would recommend giving the trial a go.
Terrific value for money
This app deserves 5 stars, it really is excellent and represents terrific value for money. The more I use it and use the features the more I like it. The repair tool for spot healing etc is tremendous. I have previously criticised icloud syncing but this now appears to be seemless. Only the UI needs to be sorted, I dislike the floating panels and the black background is a big turnoff and causes eye strain.
On a separate note Serif the makers of the fabulous Affinity Designer for Mac have relesed in beta form their soon to be released Affinity Photo for Mac and this really does raise the bar again for photo editing and creativity, all I can say with that with these two apps the Adobe subscription method should become confined to history.
Keep up the good work developers.