By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex organizes all of your video, music, TV, and photo collections, and streams them to all of your screens. With the free Plex Media Server on your home computer and Plex for iOS, you can watch and listen to all of your personal media on your iOS device and share it with friends and family. Enjoy unlimited use of free features of this app, and unlock its full functionality with a Plex Pass subscription -OR- a small one-time in-app purchase (see below).
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to Plex apps on Roku, Chromecast, Android TV, Fire TV, and Plex Home Theater
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server
Remote control your big screen Plex Apps such as Roku, Plex Home Theater, Android TV, and more
• LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
• Mini Player: Continuous viewing and control over what's playing while browsing the app
• Multi-disc support: Listen to multi-disc music albums the way they were meant to be
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT http://plex.tv/downloads/) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 4.0.1
- The home screen includes a new "Browse" tab for fast access to libraries, playlists and channels.
- The artist screen has been updated, bringing albums closer to the top and showing popular tracks, tour dates, and links to similar artists.
- Libraries can now be viewed as a list in addition to the current grid view.
- Playback of mono audio has been fixed.
- Video no longer starts minimized if the mini player is open.
- Filters & sorts are now correctly remembered for each library section.
- Pre-play screens take less time to load, especially when connected to a low-power server.
- Sign in issues with passwords containing special characters have been resolved.
- The display of photo albums within libraries has been fixed. Libraries are no longer displayed as a flat list, but correctly follow the folder hierarchy.
- The Step Back time has been changed from 30 seconds to 10.
- The "Unwatched" filter for TV libraries now correctly displays shows where *any* episodes are unwatched. Previously, only shows where *all* episodes are unwatched would be displayed.
- An AirPlay button has been added to the player selection menu.
- Synced videos now have louder audio (this fix will only affect content synced to your device in the future).
- The friends list now updates correctly when switching users.
- The app can successfully connect to other iOS devices and access shared content.
- Editing sync items always showed the policy as "All media", even when only unwatched media was selected.
- Video continues to play on the device when using AirPlay speakers, rather than switching to the Apple TV AirPlay screen.
- The ability to browse libraries by folder has been restored.
- Many accessibility fixes have been made for users with VoiceOver enabled. We will continue to make improvements in this area.
- The app can be launched using the plexapp:// URL scheme again.
- Various stability issues have been resolved, including a crash when attempting to select or paste text on iPad.
FIXES REQUIRING PLEX MEDIA SERVER 0.9.12.9:
- An issue preventing various audio & video formats from direct playing has been resolved. This fixes playback for many low-power NAS devices.
What is plex?
A lot of apps nowadays seem to be designed as relentless money making machines with every button press or menu leading you to another attempt to get you to part with more money. This is so relentless with plex I honestly have no idea what it actually does except demand money. Every attempt to use just seems to lead to a bewildering array of screens asking me to pay for various subscriptions but so far I haven't been able to get it to do anything but ask for more money. Maybe there is a decent program in there somewhere but the marketing department seems determined to hide it. I can't get it do anything but lead me in an endless merry-go round that eventually asks me to give them more money for a service that so far I have been unable to find or get to function even as a demo.
Even my pet sloth loves this!
I've tried a number of different streaming applications and so many require a massive amount of custom configuration. After creating an account, installing the server application on my Mac, it just works. Looking forward to lots of awesome future updates...
A worthwhile update to the last version bringing numerous bug fixes and a new browse feature. Really like the interface and hopefully there'll be a couple of more updates in early course to provide an even better user experience
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 27 August 2015
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 47.8 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- App Activation (enable streaming playback on this device)£3.99
- Monthly Plex Pass£3.99