Plex magically organizes your media libraries and streams them to any device – including all your video, music, and photo libraries. With a Plex Pass, supported tuner, and digital antenna, you can also watch and record FREE over-the-air broadcast TV, including major networks. You can also enjoy podcasts Plus Plex News – the most balanced and comprehensive personalized video newsfeed out there. Try Plex FREE!
• Magically organize all your personal media – photos, music, movies, shows, even DVR-ed TV – and stream it to any device in a beautiful, simple interface, and Plex adds rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information
• Podcasts are here! Search for your favorites or discover new ones through personalized recommendations. Plus: 30 second skip, variable speed playback, rich discovery, and full Plex-style support for cross-device playback status (including On Deck, so you can pick back up where you left off on any device)
• Get personalized and trusted video news from over 190 global publisher partners (and growing!), including CBS, Financial Times, Euronews, and top local news sources for over 80% of markets in the US
• Cut the cord! Go premium with a Plex Pass and use Plex Live TV & DVR so you can watch and record free over-the-air HD TV, like NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX, with any supported digital antenna and tuner
• Enjoy free features, like remote access, sharing, security, and casting, see your media beautifully enhanced with rich descriptions, artwork, ratings, and more
• Enjoy premium features with a Plex Pass subscription: DVR & Live TV, Camera Upload, Premium Photos, Mobile Sync, Parental Controls, VIP Perks, and much more
Want to use Plex on all of your devices, any time, anywhere? Visit https://www.plex.tv/ for more information.
NOTE: Streaming personal media requires Plex Media Server version 1.3 or higher (available for free at https://plex.tv/downloads) installed and running to stream to other devices. DRM-protected content, ISO disc images, and video_ts folders not supported.
- Added ability to select a preferred server when logging in, and restoring to defaults from the home screen
- Added support for rich Podcast descriptions.
- You can now long press on a type on the tab bar to quickly switch to it and bring up the source selector.
- Correctly show subscription status with 6 month Plex Pass.
- Couldn't skip to other Podcasts tracks while using Chromecast.
- Fixed issue where syncing new items required to restart the app in order to see them in offline mode.
- Recording schedule badge would sometimes appear for shows not scheduled for recording.
- The Podcast player now shows the episode date.
- Unfinished podcast episodes would show up as finished in their preplay screen.
- Editing a DVR recording would wrongly show podcast-related UI.
Ratings and Reviews
Having used the desktop app remotely between my Macs I was somewhat sceptical of the iPad app. I didn’t want to pay for something that didn’t work the way I wanted. I was used to using Air Video but support for that stopped when IOS 11 came out so I had no choice. However, my fears were unnecessary. I only stream movies with the setup being a little complicated at first particularly doing this remotely but it works....well! The option to play the movie in higher quality is a bonus as is the addition of subtitles if available. I also like the fact you can continue on a different system from where you left off.
The small price I paid is enough and I’m more than happy with it as long as it continues to be supported on the iPads.
UPDATE:- no support for older Macs. All of a sudden it has stopped working and is asking for server version 1.3. This would not in itself be an issue but it still works perfectly when streaming to PS4. So it seems that the support fails at the first hurdle as they do not offer help, merely direct you to the forums. This has rendered it useless as a paid app and the customer service is not existent.
Go for a VLC option which is tried and tested.
5 stars for iPad and iPhone.
But issues on Apple TV and with Samsung TV.
If you have problems, you can chase your tail trying to find a solution that may not exist. I paid for plex pass and I'm not technical so I'd like clear user guide for troubleshooting. Step by step with screenshots. I don't mind looking on forums for a solution, but It's frustrating to look, find some information telling you what to do, you try and do it but can't. For help, all you can do is post on a forum and hope someone has resolved it before and can help. I've seen a few threads from months ago where people have all said they have the same problem. That's it, no response from the developers. Or when there is a response it's "sorry can't do anything" and the it's marked as as answered.
Poor reviews written by aliens
Anybody writing a poor review about this app, needs to go back to computer class. Read the instructions.... it couldn't be easier. This is THE last word in media management. Massive online help (try using it some of you) and does exactly what it claims to. External access to your media with unsurpassed on the fly conversion make this thing about as professional as it gets. "But it won't play my media" ... it plays everybody else's, so do you honestly think that the app is at fault here? READ THE INSTRUCTIONS DINGBAT! If you don't like this when you've finished setting up..... there's something either technically wrong with your network, or you downloaded it in the mistaken belief that is was some sort of fitness program.
- Plex Inc.
- 171.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- English, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017 Plex, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Plex Pass £3.99
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices) £4.99
- Yearly Plex Pass £38.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.