With PocketGrib you can download, view and analyse global weather data while on the go.
Wind, precipitation, pressure, temperature, wave and other data extracted from GRIB files are displayed through our powerful GRIB viewer interface.
Perfect for sailors (both sailing and in the pub), windsurfers, storm chasers, outdoor enthusiasts, amateur and professional meteorologists.
- Choose your map location and have weather information overlaid
- Animation of weather maps
- Weather can be viewed as a meteogram (graph) or raw data
- Configurable download to minimise file sizes (great for roaming)
- GRIB files can be downloaded to your PC via iTunes
- Displays online and offline
- Support for 3rd party GRIB files
PocketGrib downloads and displays the following weather types:
- Wind speed and direction (10 m above ground/sea)
- Precipitation (rain, snow etc)
- Air temperature
- Waves (including Mediterranean and Black Sea)
- Cloud cover
- Relative humidity
- CAPE (Convective Atmospheric Potential Energy)
- Current (Atlantic only)
- 500mb Height
Direct download of GRIB data from NOAA's GFS (Global Forecast System) model
- Forecasts up to 8 days
- Data steps: 3hr, 6hr, 12hr
- Worldwide coverage
- Resolution: 0.25°, 0.5°, 1°, 2°
- Data updated 4 times a day (every 6 hours)
Also support for COAMPS (0.2° resolution), WW3, NOGAPS, RTOFS (Currents) and FNMOC WW3 (Mediterranean wave) models.
GRIB forecasts are published without human intervention or review. As such, the end user requires some knowledge and awareness. Most GRIB models do NOT accurately forecast hurricanes and tropical cyclones so their use should be combined with specific hurricane and tropical cyclone forecasts.
-Additional GRIBs available in the Catalog
-Wind gusts now shown in the Data screen
Ratings and Reviews
Really very easy to use. Stores grab files so you can refer back when offline offshore. I have used for years and will continue to do so.
This is by far the best Grip app.
It's ease of use.
Downloads fast when at sea.
So many features, you have control over everything.
Simply brilliant! Thank you.
Was told about this app by a friend just before taking my new boat on a maiden voyage from l'Aber Benoit through the Chenal du Four and on to Douarnenez. Finding a favourable weather window was absolutely essential and this app enabled us to do this. Simplicity itself to set up and use. The one small problem I encountered was sorted out very quickly by re-installing the app. Backup is excellent - I e-mailed for advice and received a very helpful and friendly reply within 24 hours.
I have been using it for about ten days now and the accuracy of prediction has been very impressive over three days and reasonably good over five. You can show as little or as much data on a chart as you want. I particularly like the the ability to show wind direction and wave direction at the same time as these are not always the same and for anyone sailing being able to see when there are differences and what these are is very helpful. It also gives very good predictions for height of swell, also extremely useful.
Anyone who sails will find this app indispensable - far superior to wind guru and well worth spending the very reasonable £3 odd charged. Wouldn't be without it.
- Nicholas Brennan
- 38.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-18 Nicholas Brennnan
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.