PocketSword is a Bible Study app for the iPad, iPhone & iPod touch (iOS 8.0 and above) that is built upon the powerful SWORD backend developed by the CrossWire Bible Society.
Modules are available for download (offline use) within the app, with permission granted by the various copyright holders to CrossWire to distribute them for use in its apps. When you download this app, it comes with the KJV & Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible pre-installed, but you can use the downloader within PocketSword (located under the More tab) to choose which additional modules you wish to download from CrossWire and have available for offline use.
There are free modules (both Bible translations and commentaries) available in over 60 languages, including (but not limited to):
English, Greek (modern and ancient), Hebrew, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Arabic, Afrikaans, Latin, Russian, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese and many more.
* Popular Bible translations available in the English language include:
KJV, AKJV, ASV, ESV, NET, Tyndale, WEB and Young's Literal Translation.
* Popular Commentaries available in the English language include:
Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible (as well as the "Concise" version), Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, John Wesley's Notes on the Bible, Abbot, Barnes, Geneva, Luther and more...
(See http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ for a fuller list of the modules).
* Dictionaries are also available within PocketSword, including Easton's Bible Dictionary and Nave's Topical Bible Dictionary.
* Daily Devotionals are also available (under the More tab), including Spurgeon's Morning & Evening.
You can also choose to create your own modules, using the tools available from Crosswire, and install your modules directly from your computer to your iPhone.
The SWORD backend to PocketSword is very powerful and allows for a rich experience for the end user. Currently implemented are:
- Built-in module downloader of modules in many different languages
- Separate Bible, Commentary & Dictionary tabs for quick reference from one to the other: jump to a verse in one and it jumps to the same verse in the other
- Landscape & fullscreen modes
- Choose your font & font size for ease of reading
- Bookmark & History (of Bible & Commentary use) support
- Red Letter support & choice of reading Verse-Per-Line or using paragraphs.
- Night mode for easier reading in the dark
- Install custom-made modules (including those with non-KJV versification, commenly called "Alternative Versification" or av11n)
- Searching within Bibles and Commentaries
- Localisations in many languages.
- Copy and Paste support (of Bible verses, Commentary entries & Dictionary entries).
- Footnotes, cross-references & headings in modules that support them (ESV and KJV, for example)
- Strong's Numbers & Morphology in modules that support them
Follow us on Twitter @PocketSword
- Updated for 64bit
- Updated for iOS 10
- Fixed search!
- Fixed Strong's Numbers search bug
Ratings and Reviews
Just been released as 64 bit app so safe for the next wee while. Well done to the developers for responding so quickly.
Still one of the very best Bible resources on the App Store.
Please please please recompile it as a 64 bit app.
I'm afraid that the next iOS update will scupper this superb app unless it gets a little attention
Superb app for in depth language study, giving full parsing for Greek and Hebrew, also, brilliant selection of the best commentaries.
With the update to iOS 10, we finally have THE APP. Strong's search now works, and the exploration of the Word is now an exciting time. Always loved the commentaries and various modules. Yay!
This one does it all!
Having recently migrated from a WM device, I was keen to find a bible reading app to equal pocket e-sword...and this is it! Beautifully presented, easy to navigate and with enough features in the way of commentaries, searches, bookmarks, etc. to satisfy all but the most fussy of biblical scholars. The text is customisable for font, size, style, red type for Jesus' words and the two included texts (KJV and ESV) are a great starter with other versions available to download as required. All in all this is a truly great app which is extremely well thought out, beautifully stable and a joy to use. Perhaps the most amazing thing about it though, is the fact that it is free! Top marks!
- Nic Carter
- 36.8 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 CrossWire Bible Society and Nic Carter
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.