Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing the Podcasts app, an amazing way to discover, subscribe to and play your favourite podcasts. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts in the Featured tab, or browse Top Charts to see what's popular right now. Add your favourite podcasts to personal stations that stay up to date when new episodes become available. You can sync playlists from iTunes, or create an On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want. iCloud keeps your subscriptions, stations and play position in sync across all your devices, computers and Apple TV.
• Explore hundreds of thousands of free podcasts on a variety of topics, including art, business, comedy, music, news, sport and more
• Tap Subscribe for your favourites and automatically get new episodes for free as they become available
• Browse by audio or video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Enjoy all your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Ask Siri to play specific shows or stations by name, like “play TEDTalks”
• Adjust the playback speed of your audio or video podcasts
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Enjoy your favourite podcasts on your TV with AirPlay and Apple TV
• Create custom stations of your favourite podcasts that update automatically when new episodes become available
• Use the On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want
• Choose to download new episodes automatically when they become available, even when the app is not open
• Save your favourite episodes to keep them on your device
• Subscribe to podcasts that require authentication — just enter the podcast URL into Search in My Podcasts
• Share your favourite episodes with friends using AirDrop, Facebook, Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync episodes and playlists from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• iCloud remembers your place in an episode, your subscriptions and your stations, and keeps them up to date on your devices, Mac, PC and Apple TV.
• Requires a device with iOS 7 or later
• iTunes 11.2 is recommended for syncing podcast episodes
• Syncing subscriptions, stations and play position using iCloud requires iTunes 11.2 or later and Apple TV Software 6.0 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection
• iTunes playlist syncing is not compatible with iTunes Match
• Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas
What's New in Version 2.1.2
This update includes several improvements that make playing your favourite podcasts even easier:
Improved Episode Browsing
• Quickly find episodes you haven’t listened to in the new Unplayed tab
• Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
• Save your favourite episodes to keep them offline
• Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them
• Tap on links that appear in podcast and episode descriptions to open them in Safari
• You can now ask Siri to play podcast episodes by simply saying “play podcasts”
• To play specific podcasts or stations, just ask Siri to play them by name, like “play TEDTalks”
• Please note that Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
• Podcasts now supports CarPlay
• Start playing a station from the stations list — just tap the Play button next to the station name
• Share links to your favourite podcasts using AirDrop
This update also resolves playback issues after syncing with iTunes and improves stability while downloading podcasts. Stability has also been improved when upgrading and when interacting with certain podcast episodes.
Still hit and miss
Auto-deletion used to work great, set iTunes to only sync unplayed episodes to your iPhone and you were done. Now, you have a whole new auto-deletion that’s supposed to automatically delete played episodes. Oh, except that anything you downloaded on your computer is automatically set to “saved”, with no way to remove it from your saved list on your iPhone, so the episodes stick around forever!
Similarly, other functionality that used to exist has been gone for ages. Enhanced podcasts (an Apple invention) used to always show their image on the lock screen but that’s been gone for years, why? If I’m listening to an enhanced podcast I just want to be able to wake up my phone and see the image, not have to unlock my phone, make sure I’m in the podcast app and on the now playing section to see them.
The app has a great setting to control if you use cellular data but why does it have to warn you *every* time you open the app that cellular data is turned off (even when you’re on wifi)? And for that matter, why does it still insist on downloading episodes that I’ve marked as played and deleted because I don’t want the episode?
Aaargh - why can’t they get this right‽
This app used to do what I needed. And what I need is really simple. I want to be able to subscribe to podcasts through iTunes, keep all of the listened to episodes, but sync only unplayed ones to my iPhone and iPad. Once they are listened to, they should be removed from the iPhone or iPad either straight away, or on the next sync, I don’t really care. I don’t care if that action is sync’ed through iCloud either (would be good if it was, but no matter if not).
I understand that some people want to be able to download through the app, manage their subscriptions and so on, and that all well and good, but these should be optional.
But they are, you say!
Well, the options seem to be there, but they don’t work. It’s mess. More than once, I lost all my saved podcasts from iTunes (backed up fortunately). The Podcasts app persists in downloading episodes of even podcasts where it’s explicitly told not to in the settings. Not usually new ones either.
This is a mess. They need to start again.
Perhaps they need two apps? Podcast Player (that does what I want) and Podcast Manager (that is all singing all dancing)?
Anyhow, I wish I knew of an app that did what I want. This is not up to Apples standards.
IMO, Barely Tolerable
I enjoy Apple products, it's important to say that up front. This app works with the iPod podcast interface in my car, for that, it gets the one star. Everything else is rubbish, it crashes, it fails and refuses to download episodes and won't say why, it insists there's nothing to download when other apps say there is (and they're right). The way it decides to stop checking a podcast because I haven't played it in a while is maddening, who is it to say I can't save up episodes and binge listen?
If 3rd party apps could offer the podcast feed to my car I'd delete this app and never look back. In fact, Lately I'd rather not use the feature than have to nurse this rubbish through doing its job. And now they're building it in permanently to iOS 8?! Wonderful.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 29 May 2014
- Version: 2.1.2
- Size: 13.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l.
- © 2014 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.