Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing the Podcasts app, an amazing way to discover, subscribe to and play your favourite podcasts. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts in the Featured tab, or browse Top Charts to see what's popular right now. Add your favourite podcasts to personal stations that stay up to date when new episodes become available. You can sync playlists from iTunes, or create an On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want. iCloud keeps your subscriptions, stations and play position in sync across all your devices, computers and Apple TV.
• Explore hundreds of thousands of free podcasts on a variety of topics, including art, business, comedy, music, news, sport and more
• Tap Subscribe for your favourites and automatically get new episodes for free as they become available
• Browse by audio or video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Enjoy all your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Ask Siri to play specific shows or stations by name, like “play TEDTalks”
• Adjust the playback speed of your audio or video podcasts
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Enjoy your favourite podcasts on your TV with AirPlay and Apple TV
• Create custom stations of your favourite podcasts that update automatically when new episodes become available
• Use the On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want
• Choose to download new episodes automatically when they become available, even when the app is not open
• Save your favourite episodes to keep them on your device
• Subscribe to podcasts that require authentication — just enter the podcast URL into Search in My Podcasts
• Share your favourite episodes with friends using AirDrop, Facebook, Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync episodes and playlists from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• iCloud remembers your place in an episode, your subscriptions and your stations, and keeps them up to date on your devices, Mac, PC and Apple TV.
• Requires a device with iOS 7.1 or later
• iTunes 11.2 is recommended for syncing podcast episodes
• Syncing subscriptions, stations and play position using iCloud requires iTunes 11.2 or later and Apple TV Software 6.0 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection
• iTunes playlist syncing is not compatible with iTunes Match
• Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas
What's New in Version 2.2
Podcasts 2.2 includes a number of minor performance improvements and adds support for iOS 8.
I Like It
Having read through the numerous reviews on this app I initially decided not to download it and opted for a highly rated alternative instead. However, I quickly discovered that my chosen app did not find the actual podcasts I wanted from itunes, and there appeared no way to get said podcasts into the app in question.
As a result I took a chance and downloaded Apple's own podcast app and, I have to say, it's easy to navigate and easy to get your required podcasts. The peripherals, i.e. the sleep timer, deletion when required etc, all work fine.
So if you want a simple to use app that allows you to download, listen to, or watch your podcasts from then this appears to be a good choice.
Any downsides? Well it does crash sometimes (not often though...).
A failed attempt at better accessibility
Things were much easier when you could access all mp3s under "Music"
If you wanted to download podcasts, you would go to the iTunes store, easy, no hassle.
My problem is that, (if I use this app) as my home button is broken, I need to turn my iPod off and on again before I can switch between music and podcasts. Now, to download a podcast an listen to it, I have to turn my iPod off an on again 2 times before I can listen to a new podcast. It was easy before, change it back, please. The convenience of automatic downloads is cancelled out by the inconvenience of switching between "Music" and "Podcasts"
Garbage - Stop regressing it!
I would be able to (just about) handle the slowness of starting the app, but once it's loaded it hardly ever plays podcasts I've already got on my device. When I attempt to download a podcast it'll be stuck at "processing" and so if I want to listen to it away from home I have to resort to using mobile data, so thanks for that. A suggestion: If you aren't going to test this properly, then just rollback to the previous version and re-release that, thanks.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 17 September 2014
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 12.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l.
- © 2014 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.