Welcome back to the 80s.
Retro Pilot is the implementation of the popular arcade game Time Pilot. Fight your way through 5 different time zones, defeat powerful bosses and rescue parachutists. Each time zone has its special feature. So biplanes throw bombs and helicopters fire rockets at you. Jet pilots and UFOs even shoot steerable missiles pursuing your aircraft.
If you have survived all five time zones, the game begins again with even more enemies and faster pilots. The ever-increasing difficulty ensures long-lasting fun.
There are three difficulty levels to choose from:
- Normal (5 aircraft , starting at level 1, 3 enemy hits per aircraft)
- Arcade (3 aircraft , starting at level 1, 1 enemy hit per aircraft)
- Nightmare (1 aircraft , starting in the most difficult level, 1 enemy hit per aircraft)
- on some mobile devices the screen image has been cropped so that e.g. the number of remaining aircrafts was no longer visible
- minor improvements
- the bottom bar of the remaining opponents is no longer hidden when using the joypad on the left side
Ratings and Reviews
Good Time Pilot Clone
Nice recreation of the classic 80's dog-fighter.
Positives are a pretty faithful recreation of the feel of the original game, with good controls that can be customised for left/right handers with a choice of two on-screen joystick sizes.
Purists might like to know that bullet damage is not always fatal in this version. Also, the behaviour of missiles is quite different from the original version. There's also no time warp effect between levels at present.
Finally, the game currently does not support 'retina' resolution on the iPad 3 / 4.
All said, this game is very good and hopefully the developer will polish up the few minor niggles and rough edges that are present right now.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.