RISK: The Official Game for iPad
By Electronic Arts
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
THE REAL RISK EXPERIENCE – NOW DESIGNED FOR iPAD™! Pursue world domination on your iPad with THE ORIGINAL game of strategic conquest. Escalate the classic board game experience to a new level of interactive intensity that only iPad can deliver. Draft! Attack! Fortify! Accept no pretenders! Conquer the world on your iPad with the one and only RISK.
EXCLUSIVE iPAD FEATURES INCLUDE:
• NEW interactive board-game experience – Gather up to 6 players around the iPad for the ultimate war game!
• Fast-App Switching – Pause a game and instantly return where you left off
• Inspiring HD-quality graphics and precision gameplay – Enjoy visuals optimized for the iPad’s sharper resolution and bigger Multi-Touch screen
• NEW “Fixed” rule set – For more strategic action, take on your enemies with a challenging new style of play
CLASSIC WAR GAME ACTION LIVES ON IN POWERFUL NEW WAY
Capture the traditional look and feel of the original board game – but blow it out with a NEW interactive experience on iPad. Strategize over the world map, which springs to life with intense visual clarity. Attack with a sleek dice-roll effect. Sense a greater thrill of battle with awesome sound effects, and more.
BATTLE COMPUTER & REAL-WORLD ENEMIES
With 3 ways to play – all for up to 6 players – RISK for iPad is made to satisfy the competitive demands of true strategy gamers. Test your power against unforgiving computer-driven adversaries. Play all around the board against your greatest real-world rivals in an epic war game. Or collide head-to-head against your most personal opponent via local WiFi or Bluetooth.
PLAY BY NEW RULES, CRUSH YOUR OPPONENTS, AND ACHIEVE HONOR
Think strategically and play your cards right to defeat enemies with the new “Fixed” rule set. Or play by the classic “Progressive” rules and dominate the game in traditional style. View your cards with a simple touch and track the territories you’ve conquered. Earn an extensive list of achievements as your armies dominate territory after territory!
*** DON'T MISS OUR OTHER EXCITING GAMES! ** SCRABBLE, TETRIS®, MONOPOLY, Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit, ROCK BAND™ Reloaded, SimCity™ Deluxe, Madden NFL 11 by EA Sports™ & PICTUREKA!
GIFT THIS APP: Click the “Buy App” arrow on the iTunes® App Store.
Be the first to know! Get inside EA info on great deals, plus the latest game updates, tips & more…
VISIT US: ea.com/iphone
FOLLOW US: twitter.com/eamobile
LIKE US: facebook.com/eamobile
WATCH US: youtube.com/eamobilegames
Terms of Service : http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service
Game EULA: http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/mobileeula/US/en/GM/
Visit https://help.ea.com/ for assistance or inquiries.
EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice posted on www.ea.com/1/service-updates.
Entertaining, but highly flawed
I have a few problems with this game:
1. This is more general. EA's game plan for iOS is to make money off board games (They've also done things like Monopoly, Boggle and Scrabble) and then desert them. These reviews don't make a difference, because this game hasn't been updated in 4 years and no one cares about making it better.
2. In real Risk, the defender of a country can roll dice and actually play a part in keeping their property. In this game, the defender can roll dice when the actual player is attacking, but the actual player can't roll dice to defend themselves if they are being attacked. Whoever wins the country is completely random, which is stupid and nonsensical.
3. Finally, the varying difficulties do not change the intelligence and strategic skills of the computer, but actually changes their luck when they are rolling dice. The first time I played a game on hard difficulty, I was attacking with the odds on my side. I had three dice, while the defender had one. But because this was "hard" difficulty, I didn't get the country because the defender rolled four sixes in a row. This is ridiculous! It would make sense if hard difficulty was renamed hard luck
A couple of disappointing things spoil this for me.
Overall, I think it's a decent implementation. Between this, Conquist, and Strategery you've probably got all the Risk-type games you need. But there are two really annoying things for me with this that spoil it.
Firstly, and most importantly, you don't seem to be able to have a wireless battle with someone running the iPhone version of this. I know that this isn't a universal application (I should know, as I have had to buy both separately!) but I had just assumed that you would be able to play wirelessly between the iPad and iPhone versions. Of course, as I own the iPhone version, I can use that on the iPad and play against my family on their iPods and so on, but it's not as good a solution as the proper iPad version with the lower resolution and so on as every iPad owner knows.
Secondly, and this is a personal niggle, it won't let you play a two-player game. I would like to be able to challenge my son to a one-on-one match from time to time, but you cannot play with less than 3 players, so you have to include an AI player. I know one-on-one isn't strictly Risk, but why on earth shouldn't I be allowed to play like that if I want?
Needs Improvement to Keep You Playing
I'm a BIG Risk fan, I love the board game and have played it for nearly 40 years! The graphics on this game are very nice, the interactivaty, animation, sound effects and the interpratation of the game are all very good, well done. I would have preferred to see it with a traditional Napoleonic theme rather than modern warfare but that's just down to the boardgame version I grew up with.
HOWEVER! At a difficulty level of Medium, it's easy to win every time I play it but at Expert level it's impossible. It seems that the increase in difficulty is by the odds being stacked against you in the dice rolls though I may be wrong. This meant I played the game for a couple of hours whilst getting used to it and really enjoyed it but after that it's pointless playing it, no fun at all. What a shame! (Obviously this only applies when playing against the computer, but I don't have any friends so it's an issue).
PLEASE, PLEASE can you release an update with improved or more levels of difficulty, if it weren't for this dissapointing aspect of the game I'd have given 5 stars.
- Category: Games
- Released: 14 December 2010
- Version: 1.2.28
- Size: 22.3 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Spanish
- Developer: EA Swiss Sarl
- RISK game code and certain audio and/or visual materials © 2010 Electronic Arts Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by Electronic Arts Inc. under license from Hasbro, Inc. EA and the EA logo are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. HASBRO and its logo and RISK are trademarks of Hasbro and are used with permission. © 2010 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.