The RNIB, and Sendero Group the pioneers of accessible GPS, have teamed up to create RNIB Navigator. Almost 20 years of user feedback and feature requests are behind the design of all Sendero GPS products. The accessible features in RNIB Navigator are only the beginning of what is yet to come as users help in evolving this first fully accessible GPS product for the iPhone for the UK and Ireland. RNIB Navigator is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users. RNIB does not receive any revenue from the sale of this app.
Unique to RNIB Navigator
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• POI data is provided by Foursquare.
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest and intersections are automatically announced.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 9.0 or later.
RNIB Navigator app uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Join us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/senderogps
Added a new source of POIs, OpenStreetMaps POIs.
Changed the "beacons" button to "indoor" to reflect the variety of indoor wayfinding support available.
Offering Loud Steps and Ningo for indoor wayfinding in buildings where location positioning is available.
Loud Steps is a WiFi based indoor wayfinding system, which allows for turn-by-turn directions. Available building are San Francisco Lighthouse, Envision (Wichita), Chicago Lighthouse, Merchandise Mart and 1871 Chicago in Chicago, National Federation of the Blind (Baltimore), and other international locations. Stay tuned for more buildings as they are added.
Ningo is an open source beacon database consisting of thousands of beacons. When you load Ningo for the first time, you will see a list of all the available beacons in your vicinity. Don't worry if your list is blank for now. We are regularly adding to it and have an online interface to make it easy for anyone to add more beacons. See https://ningo-api.herokuapp.com/ for information on how to become a contributor. The Ningo database includes the OSM indoor beacons. You can create a "getting warmer" route to any of the beacons listed.
Updated Ningo and Loud Steps SDK.
Ratings and Reviews
This app has come along way
I haven’t used this app for three years but thought I would give it a go. Integration with Google Maps is fantastic and the app is working really well. If you haven’t given it a go, I definitely recommend trying the free one month trial.
Very useful app
This is a very useful app which benefit from Google is POIS please do not remove these
Top class navigation app
Probably the best in it's class of IOS navigation apps out there at the moment,
Works extremely well for me, being able to firstly grab a month's free trial helps, as does being able to choose between Google maps and FourSquare.
Increased spoken announcements make this a must purchase.
- Sendero Group LLC
- 85.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Hebrew, Serbian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 Sendero Group LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Thirty Day £5.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.