RSS Menu is a systemwide menu that allows you to read and organize your favourite RSS or Atom feeds.
The articles are automatically updated and you will get a notification when new articles are available or when some other event occurs. In addition to visual notification, you can also enable speech notification and choose one of the many built in voices.
It is also possible to integrate iTunes (for podcasts) and Safari (for RSS bookmarks) with RSS Menu.
Key features include:
- background application (doesn't get in your way and is accessible from anywhere)
- very fast parsing engine
- importing and exporting of OPML files
- Growl and speech notification
- many options to customize the menu
- support for grouping feeds in submenus and adding seperators
- support for using RSS Menu as an external reader in Safari (or any other application)
support for integration with iTunes, Safari, GReader, InstaPaper, ReadItLater and more...
- support for favourite icons (aka page icons)
- fixed an issue where GReader would still show up for some users
- the per feed option to disable images has been improved and made more logical
Ratings and Reviews
Could be an invaluable app
I've already given this app a positive review, but I'm going to have to adjust my score downward for recent versions. Every time I restart my computer, all the feeds get marked as unread and any new feeds I added have vanished.
The developer has added many features that I never use, but that have nonetheless had a negative impact on my experience. The menu has become more jumbled and the feed headlines break in odd ways, making the menus take up much more space than necessary. New features are great, so long as they don't get in the way and don't break basic functionality like adding new feeds and keeping track of unread items properly.
There's an opportunity here for a developer who creates a simple, one-thing-well, RSS menu reader.
something wrong with caches, iTunes infinite loop
does not update edited feed addresses on reload, reverts to old (bad) feed
when checking iTunes it reults in infinite loop saying iTunes folder or alias is not in right place, cannot stop except for restart and delete RSS Feed cache folders
now it does not remember anything and need to reinstall
Nice idea, doesn't update
I like the idea of this app a lot, but it simply doesn't update, the only way it updates is when you quit the app and then start it again.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.