RunwayHD is a sophisticated planning and navigation tool for VFR flying which you can unlock for flight with your Airbox chart subscription*.
Runway HD features:
• Very fast moving map display.
• Grab and drag routes for rapid route planning.
• Always fly with the chart you are most familiar with. Download charts of anywhere in the world to your iPad. Choices include national aviation (ICAO) charts and privately created charts such as Bossy for France and Portolano for Italy (for a full list, please see our website).
• Vector charts available free of charge anywhere in the world which declutter as you zoom out and text rotates as you turn.
• Google Maps in-app integration; perfect for planning approaches.
• >30,000 free vector geo-referenced airfields
• In-flight navigation (requires Navigation/GPS subscription).
• Make perfect approaches every time with detailed approach plates now available for many countries.
• Full airport information.
• Detailed weather displayed on the map (TAF, METAR, rain radar (Europe), winds aloft.
• Visual NOTAM display and active download.
• Side profile including airspace and terrain.
• On-screen ruler for estimating distance and time between points.
• Scratch pad for writing important information directly onto the iPad.
• Automatic flight logging including ability to show flown tracks on the map.
• Dynamic map positioning to show maximum view of way ahead.
• Flight plan filing direct from the app.
• Create custom points of interest.
* Each Airbox subscription is valid for use on up to 2 devices.
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
iOS 12 map rendering bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I use this on a daily basis for instructing. The use of CAA half mil. and quarter mil. charts allows for seamless transition from paper chart to GPS, greatly aiding in the integration of GPS as a backup to dead reckoning. Initial planning using tap and drag of track is a great feature, allowing the pilot to consider various route options easily. Logged flights allows the pilot to review his track made good once back on the ground, and is a great teaching (and learning) aid. Tapping on an aerodrome to view Pooley's airfield plates is very useful. Filing flight plans is simple and free; once you have planned your route on the app and set up the details for your aircraft (you can have multiple ones), filing a plan takes just a couple of minutes, so long as you have access to wifi or a good phone signal. NOTAM which give a series of lat/long references, such as Red Arrows routes, are now plotted and displayed in the NOTAM display. Overall, this is a great app I highly recommend.
In your pocket
I really like this. It’s great knowing that I have a reliable GPS and moving map in my pocket when flying, especially in wave if cloud rolls in beneath. The airspace warnings work well and have stopped me from ‘breaking and entering’ a couple of times when focused on finding lift while near an airway. i like the info displayed when you tap a location, though I would like to see the airspace info in a bigger font, easier to see at a quick glance in a bright cockpit, and less need to scroll the info page. Love the cross fade into the OS map on zoom. I can use it when walking too or if I land out in my glider. It’s a bit costly on map subscriptions, still I would not want to delete it. I would like live track with colour coded height gain and loss for thermaling and wave. A good piece of kit overall
Very good... always space for improvement!
Great app, makes navigation very easy and is intuitive to use. Having used a couple of similar apps, this is the easiest to use that has a comprehensive capability.
Always room for improvements though...
1. Can you provide a feature where the app will give me a time to an intermediate waypoint (not next waypoint nor final waypoint)? When I have to be at a waypoint "on time" it is not always the "next waypoint" or "final waypoint" (for which there are options to give me an eta). Perhaps by giving me a function to latch the rubber band to the intermediate waypoint.
2. When finished using the tabs on the left, it would be helpful to make the tab "go away" by pressing anywhere on the map, rather than having to press the "tab".
3. Can we have an eraser for the scratch pad to correct small errors without having to delete the whole scratch pad.
Thank you... once again, a great app!
- Airbox Aerospace Ltd
- 682.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Airbox Aerospace Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Airspace Avoider (1 Year) £69.99
- CAA 500k South £27.99
- Pooleys Flight Guide £34.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.