By Airbox Aerospace Ltd
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
RunwayHD is a sophisticated planning and navigation tool for VFR flying which you can unlock for flight with your Airbox chart subscription*.
Runway HD features:
• Very fast moving map display.
• Grab and drag routes for rapid route planning.
• Always fly with the chart you are most familiar with. Download charts of anywhere in the world to your iPad. Choices include national aviation (ICAO) charts and privately created charts such as Bossy for France and Portolano for Italy (for a full list, please see our website).
• Vector charts available free of charge anywhere in the world which declutter as you zoom out and text rotates as you turn.
• Google Maps in-app integration; perfect for planning approaches.
• >30,000 free vector geo-referenced airfields
• In-flight navigation (requires Navigation/GPS subscription).
• Make perfect approaches every time with detailed approach plates now available for many countries.
• Full airport information.
• Detailed weather displayed on the map (TAF, METAR, rain radar (Europe), winds aloft.
• Visual NOTAM display and active download.
• Side profile including airspace and terrain.
• On-screen ruler for estimating distance and time between points.
• Scratch pad for writing important information directly onto the iPad.
• Automatic flight logging including ability to show flown tracks on the map.
• Dynamic map positioning to show maximum view of way ahead.
• Flight plan filing direct from the app.
• Create custom points of interest.
* Each Airbox subscription is valid for use on up to 2 devices.
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.6.5
New in this version:
- Download speed for charts has been improved
- Fixes for Flight Plans
- Fixes for GA Reports
I use this on a daily basis for instructing. The use of CAA half mil. and quarter mil. charts allows for seamless transition from paper chart to GPS, greatly aiding in the integration of GPS as a backup to dead reckoning. Initial planning using tap and drag of track is a great feature, allowing the pilot to consider various route options easily. Logged flights allows the pilot to review his track made good once back on the ground, and is a great teaching (and learning) aid. Tapping on an aerodrome to view Pooley's airfield plates is very useful. Filing flight plans is simple and free; once you have planned your route on the app and set up the details for your aircraft (you can have multiple ones), filing a plan takes just a couple of minutes, so long as you have access to wifi or a good phone signal. NOTAM which give a series of lat/long references, such as Red Arrows routes, are now plotted and displayed in the NOTAM display. Overall, this is a great app I highly recommend.
This is quite simply the best app I have ever used, and as a commercial helicopter pilot and instructor I have found it invaluable over the past couple of years both on charter and training flights. The ability to be able to use the same 1/2 and 1/4 mil charts on the screen as I have physically in my hand is a massive bonus, coupled with being able to accurately find and plot the location of private sites, holds and turning points for events such as Royal Ascot etc. I continue to sing its praises and the app gets better and better. You won't regret it.
Very good... always space for improvement!
Great app, makes navigation very easy and is intuitive to use. Having used a couple of similar apps, this is the easiest to use that has a comprehensive capability.
Always room for improvements though...
1. Can you provide a feature where the app will give me a time to an intermediate waypoint (not next waypoint nor final waypoint)? When I have to be at a waypoint "on time" it is not always the "next waypoint" or "final waypoint" (for which there are options to give me an eta). Perhaps by giving me a function to latch the rubber band to the intermediate waypoint.
2. When finished using the tabs on the left, it would be helpful to make the tab "go away" by pressing anywhere on the map, rather than having to press the "tab".
3. Can we have an eraser for the scratch pad to correct small errors without having to delete the whole scratch pad.
Thank you... once again, a great app!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 26 May 2017
- Version: 3.6.5
- Size: 483 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Airbox Aerospace Ltd
- © 2017 Airbox Aerospace Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Vector Europe with GPS £69.99
- CAA 500k South£27.99
- Pooleys Flight Guide£34.99
- Ordnance Survey 50k South£41.99
- CAA 500k All Charts£69.99
- UK CAA 500k South with Pooleys & GPS£109.99
- CAA 500k Full UK with Navigation£149.99
- IGN 500k France£48.99
- CAA 50k London Heli Routes£48.99
- CAA 250k Regions 5-8£74.99