By Airbox Aerospace Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
RunwayHD is a sophisticated planning and navigation tool for VFR flying which you can unlock for flight with your Airbox chart subscription*.
Runway HD features:
• Very fast moving map display.
• Grab and drag routes for rapid route planning.
• Always fly with the chart you are most familiar with. Download charts of anywhere in the world to your iPad. Choices include national aviation (ICAO) charts and privately created charts such as Bossy for France and Portolano for Italy (for a full list, please see our website).
• Vector charts available free of charge anywhere in the world which declutter as you zoom out and text rotates as you turn.
• Google Maps in-app integration; perfect for planning approaches.
• >30,000 free vector geo-referenced airfields
• In-flight navigation (requires Navigation/GPS subscription).
• Make perfect approaches every time with detailed approach plates now available for many countries.
• Full airport information.
• Detailed weather displayed on the map (TAF, METAR, rain radar (Europe), winds aloft.
• Visual NOTAM display and active download.
• Side profile including airspace and terrain.
• On-screen ruler for estimating distance and time between points.
• Scratch pad for writing important information directly onto the iPad.
• Automatic flight logging including ability to show flown tracks on the map.
• Dynamic map positioning to show maximum view of way ahead.
• Full integration with RocketRoute to allow flight plan filing direct from the app.
• Create custom points of interest.
* Each Airbox subscription is valid for use on up to 3 devices.
What's New in Version 3.2.1
Numerous bug fixes
Great aid to flying safely
Excellent product and service. Continuous updates and new features. Well worth the subscription.
Brilliant piece of software
I cannot believe that it was only 5 years ago that the iPad came out, and then apps like these followed.
I have been using runway HD for 7 months now and can categorically say it is the best app I have ever used. Not just flying app, but ANY APP. I use the 1:5 charts not the 250 ones and I can see:
1. exactly where I am at all times,
2. Where I will be in 5 minutes this is vital when navigating around the congested airspace of London
3. Auto zoom into an airport when I land showing me taxiways etc
3. Frequencies, fuel etc capabilities of airports
4. Route planning is a breeze, just tap and "add waypoint"
5. Weather needs a bit of fine tuning, but others have said that
6 We used it the other day to route around a large CB that was pushing us into Heathrow's zone, impossible to do without this app as we were .5 mile to the north at one point and giving farnborough radar screaming ab dabs :).
7. Auto lock on to VOR/ NDB/AIRFIELDS just by dragging the flight line, so so simple to use.
8. Shows flight plan and obstacle clearance.
9. Alerts you when you are five minutes away from any airspace, really useful around North London.
10. Build flight plans in seconds and get them printed off. Something that used to take hours, looking up frequencies etc. as a test for yourselves, do a flight plan from Elstree to let's say Lyon. How long would that take you the old way, now do it on this, takes a few minutes. Brilliant.
11. Help needs to be better, if people have an iPad, they know how to use one, so you don't need to teach that, but I am sure there are sections of the software I have not worked out yet because they are not in the manual.
All we need now is the ability for it to link to my autopilot and fly an approach for me! Or at least show me where I am on an approach. :).
Why didn't I use sky demon, simple there were not any reviews! Would I switch now? NO!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 13 March 2015
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 819 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Airbox Aerospace Ltd
- © 2015 Airbox Aerospace Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Vector Europe with GPS £54.99
- CAA 500k South£21.99
- Pooleys Flight Guide£26.99
- Ordnance Survey 50k South£32.99
- CAA 500k All Charts£54.99
- IGN 500k France£39.99
- CAA 500k Full UK with Navigation£109.99
- UK CAA 500k South with Pooleys & GPS£84.99
- CAA 50k London Heli Routes£39.99
- Ordnance Survey 50k North£32.99