RYA SafeTrx – Tracking you home safely
By Royal Yachting Association
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Official app of the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) – RYA SafeTrx allows you to register your vessel and plan and track your trip on your smartphone. This app is freely available to anyone, you do not need to be an RYA member. It is free to download and there is no charge to use it.
Once registered, choose from the menu options to plan and file your trip (Sail Plan mode) or just activate the tracking function of the app (Track only mode).If you are filing a Sail Plan, choose your vessel, set the ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), enter the number of persons on board, the activity type and choose your emergency contact. Then, using the built-in maps, select a starting point, an optional waypoint and the end destination. Once this is completed simply press the ‘set sail’ button when you are ready to start your trip. You and your emergency contacts will be automatically alerted following an escalation process after the journey exceeds the ETA in Sail Plan mode.
Pressing ‘set sail’ in Sail plan mode or just pressing the start button in Track only mode will register trip details with the RYA server and will activate position reporting in the app. At regular intervals the app will send a position report to the server.
At any stage during the trip you can end your trip, revise the ETA, number of people on board or the destination.
Use the RYA SafeTrx app to:
- Quickly start recording using the ‘Track only’ mode to begin tracking at a touch of a button. Change the recording interval to save on battery consumption when your tracking is in progress.
- Find nearby port and marina information, Notices to Mariners, VHF channels, lifeboat stations and useful safety information using the “Explorer” tool.
- Access location-based and real-time weather when planning your trip or when your trip is in progress.
- Check valuable maritime safety information when both online and offline.
- Create your own personalised checklist to be included as part of your Sail Plan before departing.
- Activate an Emergency call from within the RYA SafeTrx app. (iPhone only)
Continued use of GPS running in the background can considerably decrease battery life while in use.
This application’s functionality and the information it contains are published on the understanding that end users are to apply their own knowledge and skills in the use of this application.
Maritime safety is an extremely serious matter. In an emergency this application’s function and information are not meant to be relied on exclusively. Other reliable information and help from third parties should be looked for and made use of in addition.
This application can provide valuable coordinates of the user’s position, as determined by the mobile device used and the GPS system. Mobile devices and their supporting telecommunication networks are, however, not reliable and there is a real chance of loss of connection between the mobile device and the mobile network and / or the GPS system. Nor is there any guarantee that the connection between your mobile device and mobile networks will be uninterrupted. The user hereby agrees to and accepts all risks involved in the use of this application.
What's New in Version 2016.4.6
Includes basic OpenSea charts in the map screens. The electronic chart data contained within this map is not intended for navigational purposes but serve as a reference only.
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: 02 February 2017
- Version: 2016.4.6
- Size: 42.9 MB
- Languages: English, Finnish, German, Norwegian Bokmål
- Developer: Royal Yachting Association
- © 2014 Royal Yachting Association
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation).