Official app of the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) – RYA SafeTrx allows you to register your vessel and plan and track your trip on your smartphone. This app is freely available to anyone, you do not need to be an RYA member. It is free to download and there is no charge to use it.
Once registered, choose from the menu options to plan and file your trip (Sail Plan mode) or just activate the tracking function of the app (Track only mode).If you are filing a Sail Plan, choose your vessel, set the ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), enter the number of persons on board, the activity type and choose your emergency contact. Then, using the built-in maps, select a starting point, an optional waypoint and the end destination. Once this is completed simply press the ‘set sail’ button when you are ready to start your trip. You and your emergency contacts will be automatically alerted following an escalation process after the journey exceeds the ETA in Sail Plan mode.
Pressing ‘set sail’ in Sail plan mode or just pressing the start button in Track only mode will register trip details with the RYA server and will activate position reporting in the app. At regular intervals the app will send a position report to the server.
At any stage during the trip you can end your trip, revise the ETA, number of people on board or the destination.
Use the RYA SafeTrx app to:
- Quickly start recording using the ‘Track only’ mode to begin tracking at a touch of a button. Change the recording interval to save on battery consumption when your tracking is in progress.
- Find nearby port and marina information, Notices to Mariners, VHF channels, lifeboat stations and useful safety information using the “Explorer” tool.
- Access location-based and real-time weather when planning your trip or when your trip is in progress.
- Give friends and family peace of mind ashore by sharing your real-time location on a live map, and allow them to track you while you’re on the water.
- Check valuable maritime safety information when both online and offline.
- Create your own personalised checklist to be included as part of your Sail Plan before departing.
- Activate an Emergency call from within the RYA SafeTrx app. (iPhone only)
- Manage your profile, vessel, checklist and emergency contact information.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can considerably decrease battery life while in use.
This application’s functionality and the information it contains are published on the understanding that end users are to apply their own knowledge and skills in the use of this application.
Maritime safety is an extremely serious matter. In an emergency this application’s function and information are not meant to be relied on exclusively. Other reliable information and help from third parties should be looked for and made use of in addition.
This application can provide valuable coordinates of the user’s position, as determined by the mobile device used and the GPS system. Mobile devices and their supporting telecommunication networks are, however, not reliable and there is a real chance of loss of connection between the mobile device and the mobile network and / or the GPS system. Nor is there any guarantee that the connection between your mobile device and mobile networks will be uninterrupted. The user hereby agrees to and accepts all risks involved in the use of this application.
• A new 5 minute tracking interval option has been added to Track Only mode. You can now choose from 30 minute, 10 minute, 5 minute and Continuous tracking intervals to record your trip.
• When a Sail Plan is adjusted in any way, the app will give the end user the option to send a SMS to the emergency contact(s) with the updated Sail Plan details.
• To help end users avoid errors in password entry, we have included an icon on the 'Password' field that allows the end user to see what they are typing in.
• Included the ability for the end user to rate the app through in-app review stars.
• Addressed issue with Flag Alpha when a location isn’t available.
Ratings and Reviews
Used for first time. Impressed.
I used this for the first time on Sunday. It was only a short trip, but has worked well for me. I was concerned that it might use excessive battery, but it only checks location every 5 min - which is a sensible balance between location accuracy and battery life.
To put this into context, I would not have bothered to report my departure and arrival without this app so doing so has increased my safety. Sailing on inshore waters, with mobile signal a lot of the time, the app was able to report my location regularly, which would have made finding me much simpler should that have been necessary.
No doubt the App will extend and improve over time, but this is a solid start.
Now I need to explain what the App does and doesn’t do to my emergency contact(s) so that they’re clear about what they should do if I don’t return on time.
Used this for first time over the weekend. Great to have a record of a trip. My only gripe is that when sharing a link for others about a third of the screen is taken up by a massive RYA logo and rows of text with the boat name, date etc. Surely this could be provided more concisely so that the majority of the screen could be used to show the map?
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. If you are still having issues viewing the trip when shared, please contact us on email@example.com, a member of the SafeTrx team will help resolve the issue.
An excellent app for pleasure and small commercial vessels.
However it does lack in certain areas, which I’m sure will be built on over time.
My only issues was the app pocket dialling the emergency number. Curiously it goes through to the main switch board and not direct to HM Coastguard?
- Royal Yachting Association
- 41 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), and iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation).
English, Arabic, Dutch, Finnish, German, Greek, Norwegian Bokmål, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 Royal Yachting Association
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.