By using around 300 photos and 30,000 words SCOTLAND'S BEST is a travel guide that helps you make the most of your Scotland trip.
First, it provides detailed planning information on TRIP ESSENTIALS and descriptions of Scotland’s main DESTINATIONS. Then the app suggests a few ITINERARIES so you can optimize your time but also groups Scotland’s finest sights and attractions by INTEREST or ACTIVITY so no-one misses a highlight they will love. So if it’s History or Whisky you’re after; you want to travel in Luxury or with Kids, you can be sure you wont miss any of Scotland’s highlights. Extensive background info on much of this will help you appreciate Scotland a little more, while an EAT, DRINK & SHOP section includes suggestions of where you might get a good bite, a wee dram and a souvenir along the way.
• • NEW OUTLANDER SCOTLAND section added • •
The fiercely independent little country of Scotland may lie on Europe's fringes, but it's so packed with history and charm that exploring it is well worth a week or two of anyone's time.
Many visitors will already be familiar with many of the classic Scottish set pieces before they arrive: tranquil lochs, heathery glens; hilltop castles beneath brooding mountains; pretty villages beside idyllic beaches; and homey pubs serving good local whiskies. All are fairly easy to find, but of course there's far more besides, particularly in Scotland's two great and very happening cities: Edinburgh and Glasgow.
APP FEATURE: TRIP ESSENTIALS
• Seasons, Festivals & Events
APP FEATURE: DESTINATIONS:
• Central Scotland
• Edinburgh & Around
• Glasgow & Around
• The Highlands
• The Islands
• North-East Scotland
• Southern Uplands
APP FEATURE: ITINERARIES:
• Scotland in a week (6/7 days)
• Classic Highland Tour (3/4 days)
• Skye (3 days)
• Edinburgh (1 day)
• Glasgow (1 day)
• Cairngorms & Moray (1 day)
• Glencoe & Argyll (1 day)
• Moray & The Great Glen (1 day)
• Perthshire & Cairngorms (1 day)
• Trossachs & Stirling (1 day)
APP FEATURE: INTERESTS:
• Fine Dining
• Historical Sights (with extensive background info)
• Luxury Accommodation
• Outlander Scotland
• Star Attractions
• Whisky (with extensive background info)
APP FEATURE: OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES:
• Golf (with extensive background info)
• Skiing & Snowboarding
APP FEATURE: TECHNICAL:
• One-click website LINKS.
• One-click PHONE CALLS (on phones).
• NAVIGATE quickly using the app's global search; internal hyperlinks, and its many images.
• LOCATION info (using your device's GPS).
• Detailed MAPS and the ability to ADD YOUR OWN markers.
• Save and share FAVOURITES.
• Easily CONTACT the author.
• The entire contents of Scotland’s Best is freely available by installing above. The only restrictions are that this will only work when you are online and only with intermittent ads.
• An IN-APP PURCHASE eliminates all ads and allows you to take all content (except maps) offline.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Christian Williams has been a freelance travel writer since 1998. He's covered destinations all over the world, but mostly specialises in Germany and Canada. He's lived in Scotland for 20 years and is pleased to have finally written about somewhere on his doorstep.
Feature graphic by ikeofspain.
Fully updated with new listings, new content and many minor improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
At last! A handy independent app without all the hype.
Found "Edinburgh's best" app useful, so went for the all-Scotland guide, too. So much tourist info around is unrelentingly positive, or sponsored, so it's good to have a guide that gives a realistic overview for the independent traveller. Gives a good idea about what's best to include in a time-limited itinerary. Good value, too, and worth getting online functionality and offline content.
Lack Of Detail And Missed Opportunities
App is poor on content, lacks true detail on any visit you may wish to make to a City , take Aberdeen for example, no mention of the Castlegate , Footdee , St Machars, Old Aberdeen etc, to name a few.
You can find better info on places you wish to visit on Google without downloading this app that is advert funded and prompts for further payment to remove the adds, I've already deleted this , what a complete waste of time .
Excellent travel app
I recommend this app to anyone who is planning to visit Scotland. It is very user-friendly and the information it provides is interesting and helpful.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.