By Literature & Latte
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.”
- Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a click away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand, and you can open it right alongside what you’re working on. Write a description based on a photograph. Transcribe an interview. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, compile everything into a single document for printing, create an e-book, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
Scrivener’s users include best-selling novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists and translators. It won’t tell you how to write - it just provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Project templates for novels, scripts, essays and more
• Import common text files such as RTF, DOCX, FDX, ODT and TXT
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View sections individually or combined
• Distraction-free full-screen mode
• Scriptwriting mode for screenplays, stage plays, comic scripts and more
• Familiar text formatting tools
• Live word and character counts
• Mark up your text with comments
• Make notes in the sidebar which become footnotes or endnotes upon print or export
• Keep snapshots of earlier text versions and revert to them at any time
• Name generator
• MathType support
• Set goals using project and document targets
• Automatic backups
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the fully-featured outliner
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and keywords
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research such as image, PDF and media files
• Import web pages
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing
• Transcribe audio files
Get It Out There
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Export to popular formats such as DOC, RTF and plain text
• Print or generate PDF files
• Export ePub or Kindle files
• Export to Final Draft
• Supports MultiMarkdown for LaTeX export
• Sync with our iOS version (available separately)
Demonstration videos are available on our website.
We have a whole heap of testimonials from published authors - see our testimonials page at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/testimonials.php to read what they have to say.
If you have questions, feedback or need help, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit our support forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 2.8.1
• Miscellaneous bug-fixes.
• Improved macOS Sierra support.
iPad sync always a let down - until….
I love Scrivener, but have always been disappointed that there is no iOS version for my iPad.
My previous review was critical of the difficulty of working on a Scrivener document using my iOS devices. I am delighted to edit that out!
Lierature and Latte have developed an iOS app whichI have been using for some time now. It works seamlessly with Scrivener, curing all my gripes and making the hoops I used to have to jump through unnecessary! As long as I sync before opening the app, and then again before opening it on another device, then I have no issues at all with it. Have not yet had a conflict. I have uninstalled all other apps I used to try to enable me to work on my iOS device with Scrivener.
in addition, my preliminary work is done on the excellent “scapple” app developed by L&L, which is effectively a very versatile "mind map” type app. Notes and ideas I create in Scapple can easily be dragged into the binder of Scrivener and become text notes, which can then be edited and moved around in the binder on the Scrivener platform in the ususal way.
Only drawback is as a mac user, there is no option to compile to pages format. Looking forward to that small inconvenience being attended to.
Stunning software programme. perfect for my needs.
Updated review. I bought this software to use for writing academic manuscripts. This is such a pwerful and stunningly created software programme nothing comes close. As another reviewer has previously stated I have also wasted so much time, effort and exense looking at other apps - totally pointless. Scrivener is perfect.
There is an apparent issue at this time with the sporadic and multiple generation of conflict files. I have only experienced this a couple of times. As a previous reviewer has stated simply ensure that everything is saved and synced with Dropbox before you open the IOS app on your ipad. I initially was grumbling about conflicts but have had non since I ensured the app had been backed up and synced fully.
Having shopped around and wasted a lot of time using and looking at other programmes that are supposed to do what Scrivener can do. They all failed over one issue, they did not seem to be able to handle large projects with the ease that Scrivener does.
I have been using Scrivener for a few years and have grown to rely on this powerful but beutifully crafted piece of software.
Forget all the competitors out there, get Scrivener and get creative.