*** Featured in App Store Best of 2016 ***
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.” —Michael Marshall Smith, bestselling author
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
• Dark mode
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media flies
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at email@example.com, visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
• Fixed serious bug in Dropbox sync that was causing crashes for many users.
• Web page import now checks to avoid hangs caused by invalid URLs.
• On iOS 11, long-pressing a document link now opens it.
• Added support for .heic and .heif image files, the format now used by the iOS camera on 11.2 and above.
• Fixed bug whereby compiling to plain text with both “Titles Use Markdown Levels” and “Convert to Basic Markdown” checked would cause hashes in Markdown headings to be escaped.
Ratings and Reviews
Serious creation calls for serious tools. After all, nobody’s building skyscrapers out of sticks. If you’re writing a long manuscript, your tool is Scrivener. Desktop users already know how seamlessly Scrivener binds your inspiration, outlines, and writing—but you’re not always at your Mac—and thankfully the iOS app packs the same rich complexity. And yes, of course it syncs flawlessly so you’re never tied to just one device.
Terrific workhorse of an app
I use this app, and the desktop everyday. While it is not the easiest to learn, the expenditure of effort is well worth it. I could easily write thousands of words praising the ways it hides its complexity and lets writers just get on with what needs to be done. The only hiccups I’ve ever had on iOS are that it very occasionally gets confused (by that, I mean ‘twice’) as to which is the most up to date sync version on Dropbox. Both times, though, I did not lose any writing, just had to check in the ‘conflicts’ folder to see which is the most recent. That’s about it. I love using it. Like all the best software, it gets out of your way and lets you write in the ways that you want to. I’m just finishing my second (100k) book on it. Highly recommended.
A couple of features away from perfect
Scrivener is a 5 star app, but is let down by a couple of things.
Firstly, the sync on iOS is dreadful. It relies on Dropbox, and you gave to sync manually, which means backing out of your work every time you edit anything and ensuring Dropbox is always up to date. If you log in on your phone or Mac, without having done this, conflicts crop up a lot. When it comes to pro writing apps, Ulysses has far better syncing currently.
Secondly, it’s disappointing to see no support of any kind of true fullscreen minimal distraction-free writing mode. Most writing apps offer this, from iA Writer to Ulysses to some of the Scrivener copycats on the market. In today’s age, it feels like a crime not to have this. Discourse on the developer’s website is somewhat toxic on the topic, with posters saying things like “just use another app.” Not good.
It’s also disappointing to see that the iOS app is very much being treated as the little brother to the Mac version of the app. The sublime Scrivener 3 was recently released, and some of its leading features are nowhere to be seen on iOS.
That being said, Scrivener for iOS is a brilliant app. It’s just a feature or two away from being the ultimate heavyweight champ of the writing world.
- Literature & Latte Ltd
- 28.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.