See and Learn Combining Sounds offers activities designed to encourage attention, listening, and the production of early vowel-consonant combinations and simple symbolic sounds. It aims to help children with Down syndrome learn to produce consonant and vowel sounds together - an important step in learning to talk.
Building on the skills taught in See and Learn Speech Sounds, See and Learn Combining Sounds can help children learn to combine sounds as they progress towards saying whole words clearly.
See and Learn Combining Sounds is designed and supported by internationally recognized experts to meet the specific learning needs of children with Down syndrome and is consistent with current scientific understanding of the children's needs and effective interventions. It is part of See and Learn Speech - an evidence-based teaching programme designed to help children with Down syndrome to learn to talk more clearly.
See and Learn Combining Sounds builds on the skills taught in See and Learn Speech Sounds and is suitable for use with children with Down syndrome who are beginning to say consonant sounds in imitation and in babble (from 9 to 12 months), and older children who are starting to combine sounds.
Children can start the activities in See and Learn Combining Sounds when they:
• Can say at least some of the consonants b, m, p, h, k, l, r, sh, t, w, z
• Can say the vowels ar as in arm, ee as in knee, OO as in moon
Children will learn to say sounds in different orders. If your child is able to say some of these consonants you can start working on the activities using the consonants they can say with the vowels.
(Note: See and Learn Combining Sounds was previously called See and Learn Putting Sounds Together)
• Combining Consonants and Vowels - using picture prompts to practise putting two sounds together to say syllables or words
• Saying Symbolic Sounds - using picture prompts to encourage putting two sounds together to say meaningful symbolic sounds
• Evidence-based activities following key developmental steps
• Clear and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on information presented and learning goals
• Focus on visual representation of concepts, reduced language and working memory demands to help children with specific learning needs
• Comprehensive guide included in electronic format providing explicit, step-by-step guidance and instructions
• Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
• US English
• UK English
- iOS 12.1 support
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I bought the app with the hope it would help my daughter learn blended sounds to improve her reading. The app is very expensive and, in my opinion, a total waste of money. The sounds it uses do not relate to blended sounds for reading and there are only 3 sounds on this app. Save your money.
- Down Syndrome Education Enterprises C.I.C.
- 75.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Down Syndrome Education Enterprises CIC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.