See and Learn Vocabulary 1 provides activities and step-by-step guidance to help parents and educators teach young children to understand and say 60 common first words. It is the first step in See and Learn Language and Reading – a structured teaching programme designed to teach children with Down syndrome to talk and to read.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 includes 48 pictures, together with a detailed guide and record sheets. The pictures provide visual support for teaching spoken language. New words are introduced steadily and taught through a sequence of 4 simple looking, matching, selecting and naming activities.
The vocabulary taught in See and Learn Vocabulary is selected from the words most commonly learned first by most children. Pictures in the app can be personalised to be more meaningful for individual children (for example, personal pictures of mommy and daddy). The activities are intended to supplement natural, everyday opportunities to learn language with the additional support most children with Down syndrome need to learn to communicate.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 is designed and supported by internationally recognised experts to meet the specific learning needs of children with Down syndrome and is consistent with current scientific understanding of the children's needs and effective interventions.
When to start
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 is designed for children who are ready to learn their first words. They should be showing an understanding of objects and what they do, and may be attempting to communicate by babbling or using simple gestures.
Many children with Down syndrome will be ready to start these activities from about 18 months of age.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 can also be used with older children who are not yet saying all of these words - even if they understand some of them.
• Looking at Pictures - begins to teach the meaning of new words and to pay attention and engage in a learning activity for short periods of time
• Matching Pictures - encourages your child to look more closely at pictures introduced in the first activity, and to learn to distinguish between them
• Selecting Pictures - learning to understand the spoken words by linking them with the correct pictures
• Naming Pictures - encourages your child to practise saying the correct words for pictures
• Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
• Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
• Pictures can be personalised to be specific to the child (for example, mummy, daddy, dog, cat)
• Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
• Optional voice prompts
• Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
• Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
• Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
See and Learn Language and Reading
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 is the first step in the See and Learn Language and Reading teaching programme.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 teaches the vocabulary needed to start to learn to read, understand and say the two key word phrases taught in See and Learn Phrases 1. Children who have completed See and Learn Vocabulary 1 are also ready to move on to learn a further 60 early in words See and Learn Vocabulary 2.
- iOS 12.1 support
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Doesn't save state
This app is designed to be used with babies from about 6 months. I've been using it with my 2 year old and am finding it extremely frustrating. She likes to press the buttons and cards on the screen, which is great. However, every session, she manages to swipe the screen, therefore switching to another app/home screen. When we go back, we are returned to the start page or settings page and our place in the activity is lost forever so we have to start again. We haven't made it through the matching activity yet.
It is a simple but nice looking app but could be much better implemented without too much effort.
Having to print and manually record the activities undertaken seems like another poor decision, given it's an app!
Very expensive app for what it is.
- Down Syndrome Education Enterprises C.I.C.
- 94.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Down Syndrome Education Enterprises CIC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.